Health and Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stlmoguy24

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was considering getting certified to Scuba Dive. I went to the PADI website and it said you had to be in "good health" and you have to be "fit" to get certified. I am a heavyset guy, but have no health problems that I know of. Will there be any problems with me getting certified?

Thanks,

STLheftyguy24

stlmoguy24:
Hi everyone. I was considering getting certified to Scuba Dive. I went to the PADI website and it said you had to be in "good health" and you have to be "fit" to get certified. I am a heavyset guy, but have no health problems that I know of. Will there be any problems with me getting certified?

Thanks,

STLheftyguy24

I actually eat heavy set guys for breakfast and don't see a problem with it. I know tons of big, fat, bikers that can outlift weight lifters.

I think the main problems with being "fluffy" are:

- Aerobic fitness level: You'll need to do alot of swimming or other aerobic exercies to avoid sucking down your tank completely when you swim 5 feet to the rope from the boat. Swimming laps will help, and will develop the muscles you'll be using mostly. I'm SSI and don't know the PADI swim test standards off the top of my head so try swimming 300 yrds/meters non-stop without aids and see if you're ok.

- Getting into that dam prison of a wetsuit: Pick up a 40.00 dive skin, it's basically a lycra body suit that helps the wetsuit slide on better than it does over plain skin. Getting one with "hyper-stretch" material helps alot too, and since we have "built in body warming pounds", the miniscule loss of warmth doesn't hurt much.

- Reaching your toes: It sounds odd but sometimes my belly conspires against me when I'm putting on my booties or fins. It's like a defensive lineman, and it blocks me no matter what I do. Most of the time I get more winded lugging/putting on gear than I do during the dive.

Good luck and I hope you take the plunge. Having diving as a motivation may be what you need to start exercising away some of the "abdomen mounted floatation devices".

The only activity in my open water class that required a bit of "fitness" was the 200 yard swim and treading water for 15 minutes. The swim is not timed or anything so it wouldn't have been too bad had my brother not been the the class with me an turned it into a competition. If you have no health problems, I would say go for it.

Also, I would do a Discover Scuba class prior to commiting yourself to the open water course. This will give you a hands on experience of what SCUBA is all about in a controlled pool environment. After my Discover Scuba, I knew that I was hooked and there was no turning back.

Kriterian:
- Aerobic fitness level: You'll need to do alot of swimming or other aerobic exercies to avoid sucking down your tank completely when you swim 5 feet to the rope from the boat. Swimming laps will help, and will develop the muscles you'll be using mostly. I'm SSI and don't know the PADI swim test standards off the top of my head so try swimming 300 yrds/meters non-stop without aids and see if you're ok.

PADI standard for OW is to swim 200 yards nonstop. So if you can do the 300 as suggested, the "test" of 200 will be a breeze!

Steve

You can be heavy set but healthy and thin and unhealthy. There is a form at your local dive shop that you must fill out. If you answer yes to some questions then you go to the doctor and get a physical. I recently certifed a woman in excess of 300 pounds. She is actually a very good diver and while obese her heart and lungs are in good shape.

stlmoguy24:

Thanks,

STLheftyguy24

You need to get a physical before you start diving anyway. if your doctor ok's you then you're set.

Fat in itself isn't really much of a hazard for diving but poor cardiovascular fitness is. I don't konw how you rate yourself in that department but you should be able to walk at a brisk pace for a couple of miles, run a mile or swim for 1/2 mile.... that level of activity is common on dive day.

R..

stlmoguy24:
If it is something you want then you will be able to do it. Being hefty in its self will not prevent you from certifying. Just make it happen. :59:
I would get a doctors ok just for your own peace of mind even if it is not required by the certifying agency.
Good luck,
Jeffrey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom