Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am not certified to dive but was wondering if i could use a product like spare air or the H2ODYSSEY Extra Air Source to lengthen the time i can "freedie". How easy is this product to use and refill?

grouper_getter:
I am not certified to dive but was wondering if i could use a product like spare air or the H2ODYSSEY Extra Air Source to lengthen the time i can "freedie". How easy is this product to use and refill?

Don't even think about it! Get certified first and get a number of dives under your belt and then think about that stuff.

Look up pulmonary barotrauma and get certified before you start breathing compressed air underwater. Using the spare air to free dive isn't free diving it's scuba with a little tank.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec24/ch295/ch295b.html

pilot fish:
Don't even think about it! Get certified first and get a number of dives under your belt and then think about that stuff.
I agree...Spare Air was not designed for that use and could prove fatal. Don't dabble in that if you don't know what you are doing. My spare air is right next to my spare regulator and it's sole use is in an emergency. if you want to spend longer under water get yourself on a course and get qualified.

This is what happens when you add air underwater, and hold your breath.

This is one of the mild things that could possibly happen to you, but there are worse things.

Do like everyone else said, get trained in scuba or don't use the spare air.

Here's something to think about. At 225 bucks for a spare air that's about the same as a scuba course. :wink:

grouper_getter:

FREEDIE ?

Well, that would be an easy way to die, but it won't be free. Those stupid things are expensive.

HD,
I think he just left out the "v" in "freedi_e".

the K

As stated, if you use a spare air without training the end result is.....

DEATH

It might be worth posting a simple explanation:

If you freedive to, say, 33 feet and then take a breath from your Spare Air, you are taking in double the volume of air that the same breath would have provided at the surface. This is because of the pressure of the water at depth. As you ascend while holding your breath, the water pressure declines and the volume of air in your lungs expands accordingly. The expanding air will cause your lungs to expand also, resulting in a "lung overexpansion injury". The result, as everyone else has stated, is likely to be - DEATH.

DON'T DO IT! EVER! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

The answer is simple, don't hold your breath on ascent.

Alex777:
It might be worth posting a simple explanation:

If you freedive to, say, 33 feet and then take a breath from your Spare Air, you are taking in double the volume of air that the same breath would have provided at the surface. This is because of the pressure of the water at depth. As you ascend while holding your breath, the water pressure declines and the volume of air in your lungs expands accordingly. The expanding air will cause your lungs to expand also, resulting in a "lung overexpansion injury". The result, as everyone else has stated, is likely to be - DEATH.

DON'T DO IT! EVER! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom