Am I obsessed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ibnygator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just wondering if anybody else does this...

I'll be walking through a mall or a hospital or even just down the street and I find myself picturing everything underwater and thinking what a cool dive site it would be if everything was submerged. My kids say I'm obsessed with diving. Anybody else have these delusions?

I too look at ships floating and think, what a great dive that would make if it only would sink! Think what one of these new cruise ships with 15 stories of decks would be like at 150 feet down? Now that would be a dive! :eyebrow:

ibnygator:
I was just wondering if anybody else does this...

I'll be walking through a mall or a hospital or even just down the street and I find myself picturing everything underwater and thinking what a cool dive site it would be if everything was submerged. My kids say I'm obsessed with diving. Anybody else have these delusions?

Most divers do have delusions.... I once had a dream that I was diving and ran out of air. I woke up gasping for air thinking I was suffocating... LOL... Diving is a passion that normally can be shared with other divers. I have found that non-divers look at me like I am nuts (so what if I am).... Upstate New York? Orginally from Lockport (by Buffalo)

No! You are quite normal as far as divers go.

Perhaps a little obsessive but that's usual too.

Whenever I see a ship or boat, even the one I'm on at the time" deep down I wish it would sink. I love wrecks!

And, even in the shopping mall, I can be looking at something completely un related to diving and find myself thinking how it could be adapted as a good tool.

My wife definately thinks I'm crazy but one day hopefully she will get the bug.

No worries. You are definately dillusional and probably obsessed but that's just a risk we all take in this sport.

The best part is, the only true therapy for this condition is another dive.

Happy diving!

Of course you are obsessed.
Personally I wonder what is wrong with people who start diving and don't get obsessed. They go diving a couple times a year (??!!) and are quite happy not to go more. I am very wary of these people. Admittedly whenever I look at my bank account since starting diving I think they might be onto something, but then I go for a dive and remember they are the crazy ones :D

thats a bit too much. i on the other hand always look at buidings and count 14 stories and tell myself, thats how deep i went underwater:)

while driving, i find myself wondering how the vis would be in that pond, creek, lake, puddle. or what kind of artifacts might be hidden on the bottom.

Personally I wonder what is wrong with people who start diving and don't get obsessed. They go diving a couple times a year (??!!) and are quite happy not to go more. I am very wary of these people. [/QUOTE:
just had a similar conversation with a friends sister, when she did dive it was only a few times in mexico. she hasn't dove in years and she still claims she's a "good diver"..

ain't those type of divers kinda dillusioned?
i also have that kind of thoughts...i bet my friends now not just think that i'm a nut...but a scuba nut. I agree with trevinkorea about the therapy..." only true therapy for this condition is another dive"...H*LL YEAH!!

That's why I keep posting on those dive book and movie threads, why every trip to Lowes or Home Depot becomes an exercise in DIY dive gear creation, why I carry a dive bag on every business trip to Florida, why I read sea stories, practice sailor's knot tying and why, on July 6, I'm starting an Instructor Development Course.

I figure the best way to burn off some of that enthusiasm is to share it.

Guess that's why I usually check in on Scubaboard before I check my work emails in the morning too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom