Taking your buddy for a ride.... tee hee hee..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I did it for the first time tonight.

I'd read about it here on SB. I won't mention the name of the diver I'd read does this thing, but I wouldn't put it past him.

You quietly drift up and behind your buddy, grab firmly onto the back of his tank (the boot worked well for me) and stop swimming. It's like taking a ride on a human scooter! What's amazing is that my buddy didn't even notice that he was dragging along an extra 200 pounds (OK, yes, including gear, a little more than 200 pounds...). How is this possible??

When he turned to look for me, I'd just slip off to the side, and, being positioned up and behind him, he just figured I was being a lousy buddy. I flashed him the OK, he started swimming again and I grabbed on for the ride.

Later in the dive, we came across Tony and Stoy. I gave Tony the "watch me" sign, and went for a buddy ride again. Tony shook his head in disgust. However, I kept an eye on my own back for the rest of the dive.

These are the kind of advanced diving tid bits one can learn from more experienced ScubaBoard divers. :eyebrow:

Warning!! Do not attempt the above while scuba diving! You could die! In fact, I wouldn't try this while you're not diving either.

Rick Inman:
I did it for the first time tonight.

I'd read about it here on SB. I won't mention the name of the diver I'd read does this thing, but I wouldn't put it past him.

You quietly drift up and behind your buddy, grab firmly onto the back of his tank (the boot worked well for me) and stop swimming. It's like taking a ride on a human scooter! What's amazing is that my buddy didn't even notice that he was dragging along an extra 200 pounds (OK, yes, including gear, a little more than 200 pounds...). How is this possible??

When he turned to look for me, I'd just slip off to the side, and, being positioned up and behind him, he just figured I was being a lousy buddy. I flashed him the OK, he started swimming again and I grabbed on for the ride.

Later in the dive, we came across Tony and Stoy. I gave Tony the "watch me" sign, and went for a buddy ride again. Tony shook his head in disgust. However, I kept an eye on my own back for the rest of the dive.

These are the kind of advanced diving tid bits one can learn from more experienced ScubaBoard divers. :eyebrow:

Warning!! Do not attempt the above while scuba diving! You could die! In fact, I wouldn't try this while you're not diving either.
i find this to be very funny and will do the same to a certain dive buddy, i love it , though i do have a SICK sense of humor

We call it "scitch'n" when done on a skateboard behind a car or truck. When we do it diving we call jimmy "Scooter". :D

You can take it one degree further and keep your light beam within your buddies peripheral vision and then you never have to let go. Just remember to put on the brakes when he does - otherwise you go over the handlebars and your buddy will catch on quick!

When there was a group of use together, I got hold of one of the group's cylinder like you would a panicked diver, but pulled my knees way up so I was tucked in tight behind the diver.

Said diver ends up spinning around as everyone else is pointing behind her, with me riding around on the cylinder! :)

Great fun.

I have the done the hitch a ride thing before.

Just as much fun is coming up behind and pushing from the cylinder.

Dom

Walter regularly hitches rides while diving. I think I've got pictures in my gallery. It's fun, too.

This is an old and time honored technique for improving RMV. However, it can be a bit hard to pull off with an alert buddy.

MikeFerrara:
This is an old and time honored technique for improving RMV. However, it can be a bit hard to pull off with an alert buddy.

I'll buy you a few beers if you can do that to me for more than 10 seconds! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom