Scuba Diving saved me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
From getting a ticket. Last night I got pulled over for 46 in a 30. The guy came back and gave me a warning and said..."comin back from diving?", turns out he had been diving less than a mile away from where we had been....I was thrilled...

Being a diver saved us from a DUI in the 60's.

We were downtown Honolulu and had partaken in way toooo much fun.

So we’re back at the car shooting the bull with no intent on driving until we get a better grip on life. But this Honolulu Patrolman comes over and asks what’s the matter.

We might be lit like a Neon sign but were not stupid. None of us are offering that we’re poo faced.

So, almost in unison, out come the dive cards. Which say in nice easy to read print, “U.S. Navy Deep Sea Diver” “This man has been exposed to high pressure. In case of unconsciousness or illness from undetermined cause, rush or telephone to the nearest Navy Facility or Decompression Chamber”.

This nice police officer gets this shocked look on his face and says “Follow Me”. Now with the red light and siren going we leave town and head for Pearl Harbor. All the way to the main gate where he wishes us well and a quick recovery.

Thinking that’s it we go back to the ship and crash for the night.

In the morning we had to go and see the Base Commander. Not our ships Captain but the Big Cheese with Stars on the collar. We had seen him before but somehow we knew this trip was for something we did last night.

We meet up with him and as usual he was very pleasant. He was always nice to his NCO’s, being an Admiral didn’t go to his head. But today it went to our butts. That was the nicest ***** chewing I have ever gotten. All he said was, “If you or any other diver, under my command, ever pulls a stunt like that again, they WILL ride the chamber for 72 hours and come out the next inferior pay grade! That was a good one, Dismissed”.

That was the end of it. But I think I can safely say that stunt has only been pulled once :D

Gary D.

nice story Gary, got me smiling early in the morning!!

Great story. I am amazed that you were both sober enough to think that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom