Which resorts (Beaches/Sandals) including diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got into diving a couple of years ago while vacationing in a Beaches resort in Jamaica. The resort activities include scuba diving (that's right, no extra cost for gears and boat dives). Since it was included, I took the 3-hr pool lesson, and went shallow diving. Got so interested, by the end of the week got OW certified.

Now I look forward to vacations to warm waters to scuba dive. (Going to Hawaii this year.)

I only know of the Beaches/Sandals chain of all-inclusive resorts that include scuba diving. Do you know of any others that include scuba?

Thanks a bunch.

SuperClubs resorts also include SCUBA at all the Grand Lido and most of the Breezes Resorts. No charge and includes equipment.

Doing the Discover Scuba course at Grand Lido Braco last year is what motivated me to get certified (again).

Heading back this year to explore the deep reef and walls.

TN Traveler:
SuperClubs resorts also include SCUBA at all the Grand Lido and most of the Breezes Resorts. No charge and includes equipment.

Doing the Discover Scuba course at Grand Lido Braco last year is what motivated me to get certified (again).

Yes. Remembered looking at Grand Lidos. The Sandals are already among the more expensive resorts, but the Grand Lidos were really expensive.

But I remember from last year that not all Superclubs or Breezes resorts include scuba.

TN Traveler:
Heading back this year to explore the deep reef and walls.
Which resort or locations did you see good diving?

Note that you can get packages at many dive resorts that include room/meals/diving. Gear is not usually included as most people bring their own, but it can typically be rented for a weekly rate as well. These won't be the same as a Sandals-type place but if you don't need all the other stuff going on you may find that it gets you much more and better diving. Of course it varies, but the better known chain all-inclusives are not generally noted for the best diving. Sometimes this is due to location, for example many are in Jamaica which I'm sure has some nice diving but it's not really noted as a dive destination compared to some other islands. (I've stayed at a few AIs there but only snorkeled.) Often the AIs are more focused on fairly new or infrequent divers which causes some compromises on where they dive, even if there's great sites they may not go to ones that are deeper or further away. Sometimes it's that the diving is just one more thing they offer but not the priority.

For example, you could go to any of the little resorts on Little Cayman, almost everything is all-inclusive packages since there's not really anyplace else to go eat. (ok 1 place.) And the diving will be many times better than what you will get at a regular all-inclusive. There's similar arrangements in lots of places in various major Carribean dive destinations like Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, Cozumel.

That said, I would think the Breezes in Curacao should (or could) have some pretty good diving available, the diving in Curacao is quite good and there is shore diving at Breezes.

If you go to the Breezes/Superclubs website and click on ANY of the resorts, you can find a chart comparing all their clubs and what is included. I think you'll find only the SuperClubs in Jamaica and Breezes in Runaway Bay include scuba diving.

I've looked and looked for other "major" AI resorts that include scuba and so far I've been unsuccessful.

Most but not all Superclubs include scuba diving in the "all-inclusive" price. Consult www.superclubs.com for specifics.

I know that in Jamaica Grand Lido Negril, Hedonism II and III, and Breezes Runaway Bay include scuba for certified divers. I think Breezes Bahamas, Punta Cana, and Curacao do not include diving but it can be purchased nearby.

BTW, Sandals/Beaches and SuperClubs chains have started charging $70 for the resort course. They claim to cover insurance costs. I think it's to reduce the number of casual divers.

sandals is running specials right now up to 50% off hotel stays. Most are 40% but hey if you can save anything it's a good thing. The date, destinations, and which resort you are looking at determine the % off. My husband and I are looking at Jamaica Ocho Rios in Novemeber and its 40% off. the St Lucian one is also offering same % for same time period. There are black out weeks and I think you have to book by 7/15 check it out tho not sure of date.

Damselfish:
Note that you can get packages at many dive resorts that include room/meals/diving...

For example, you could go to any of the little resorts on Little Cayman, almost everything is all-inclusive packages since there's not really anyplace else to go eat. (ok 1 place.) And the diving will be many times better than what you will get at a regular all-inclusive. There's similar arrangements in lots of places in various major Carribean dive destinations like Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, Cozumel.
Good point. Wife doen't dive, so the AIs give her some activities to do while I go diving.

Would anyone have recommendations for a certain AI resort, that also have good diving whether it's included or not.

The Beaches resort (now absorbed into Sandals Grande Ocho Rios) had good equipment, several good boats, but only ok dive sites.

Beaches Veradero had a separately contracted dive shop. It was ok, and dive sites ok. But when the weather was not good and got sent to south side of Cuba, the shore diving in Bay of Pigs was quite good.

Damselfish:
That said, I would think the Breezes in Curacao should (or could) have some pretty good diving available, the diving in Curacao is quite good and there is shore diving at Breezes.
Have you had first hand experience with resorts there or is this hearing from others?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom