weight belts with doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DudleyNMU

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i hear all the time that when your diving doubles you dont need much weight and some people dive without weight. Is this true? I beleive it is but not sure. I dont dive doubles soo thats why i always post threads about them to try and learn some info.

I dive double PST E8-130s. Aluminum backplate (1-2 lbs negative) and a drysuit. No other weight.. and trust me I don't need any.

Double aluminum 80s with heavy exposure protection (thick wetsuit or drysuit) requires a good deal of weight, though.

DudleyNMU:
i hear all the time that when your diving doubles you dont need much weight and some people dive without weight. Is this true? I beleive it is but not sure. I dont dive doubles soo thats why i always post threads about them to try and learn some info.
I use a weight belt when I dive with my aluminum doubles and wetsuit.

I could dive with a wetsuit and steel doubles with no ditchable weight, but I do not think that is a good idea.

I wear some weight with steel doubles and drysuit. How much depends on how much insulation I am wearing.

Steel Genesis HP 120's, no extra lead.
Steel Faber LP 95's, no extra lead.
Steel PST LP 104's, no extra lead.

Add to the above stage or deco bottles, still, no extra lead.

I do make sure I have redundant lift, with rigs this heavy a complete loss of lift will make it difficult to swim up to the surface, especially in fresh water.

Mark Vlahos

Double E8-119's with an 8-lb weightbelt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Double PST-95's and drysuit = no extra lead

My 130's w/Alum BP and a trim weight....no weight belt and still very easy to become a dirt dart.

My Al 80's...I'm probably overweighted at 12 lbs (drysuit and fresh water SS plate)

PST lp120s, drysuit and an eight pound V-weight. When the tanks get to around 5-600psi I need the 8# to remain neutral during my last deco stop.

Double Hp100's + ss backplate + 30 cu.ft. sling bottle + drysuit + insulation = 4 lbs. of lead on a weight belt.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom