Instant Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gerry Rhoades

Registered
Reaction score
I was wandering around on eBay last night and found numerous people selling PADI patches and certificates. The ones I remember were Rescue Diver, Divemaster and another that was something like Divemaster Instructor. So, anyone who wants to look like they really know something can just "Buy it Now" and be treated with great deference on their next trip. Is it possible for someone to get a job with stuff? That would really be a scary thought.

Can you get air fills and charter boats with a wall certificate?

I think a 30 second conversation on the boat with a DM would unmask most frauds.

Being able to dive without proper proof should never happen. Hey, I know poeple with Instructor caps who were given them by friends - doesn't mean they're instructors. Incidentally most operators will (and should) be asking you for log book and cert cards. Having s chat with poeple about diving can also reveal a lot.

No worries, patches and certficates and caps are pretty much meaningless.

So we can start to worry when/if we start to see c-cards on eBay?

....although, come to think of it, that might not be such a BAD thing. Just think, people might actualy have to prove they can dive, rather than just wave a c-card around...........!

Gerry Rhoades:
So, anyone who wants to look like they really know
something can just "Buy it Now" and be treated with great deference on their next
trip.

until they have to dive

besides, i treat eveyrone with the same deference. i just pay more attention
to the ones who know how to dive (can only be confirmed under water, though
you can get a good idea from how they put their equipment together and
what their rigs look like...somewhat)

LOL - I need to find mine and make a buck! I just didn't know it could be done. :)

jonnythan:
Can you get air fills and charter boats with a wall certificate?

No Johnnythan. You get the Air fills from LeisurePro for free man! :D

Who's sad enough to actually buy the wall certificates and stupid PADI patches anyways. LOL.

last time i cared about badges i was 11 and in the scouts

Mrs.Prages:
No Johnnythan. You get the Air fills from LeisurePro for free man! :D
Yep, I just got my fill whip/usb connector in today. In fact, I'm filling my doubles via broadband as we speak. I hear dial-up doesn't work as well. :wink:

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom