Diving August 11 - 14th in Newfoundland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Since I was a child I always wanted to scuba dive in the tropical waters of home (NL), however I had to wait until I arrived in Texas to get my OW certification… go figure.

I finally have the chance to dive in my home waters this summer (August 11-14th) but I will be looking for dive buddies. My primary interest is wrecks, but will be happy just to dive.

1) Is there anyone interested in diving during these dates?

2) Has anyone actually explored Leach Brook in GFW?

3) How cold will the water be in August?

CanuckInTexas:
2) Has anyone actually explored Leach Brook in GFW?

Is that the river out by the waterslide? I'd say it'd be nice but you'd have to do it at night or during a colder season, otherwise there will be too many swimmers. If you end up diving there I'd like to hear about it.

Yeah, that is the one. I have always wondered what the bootom of the 2nd falls looked like. I heard it was a great spot to look for lost treasure... lol.

You are correct, to dive it, you would have to go really early or late to avoid all the swimmers/jumpers.

However the real question is, where would you get rental tanks in this area?

J

I know there used to be a diver shop in GFW but not sure if it's there anymore. I do know there are active instructors so they're getting fills somewhere. If you're seriously interested, I can email some friends from home and maybe they can get you a phone number or email.

So I have been on the phone for days now and it is not easy finding people to dive with in Newfoundland for this week. The dive operation listed here is open but they have limited diving this week. On that note, they are the only shop I can find in the St. John's area. I am starting to get a little bummed out here. All that water, a new dry suit, and no diving. :(

Is there anyone interested in diving on the 11th during the day?

Just got back last night from an extended weekend with Ocean Quest diving the Bell Island wrecks. 33 degrees on the bottom, vis averaged around 40ft.

Gordon

33 degrees; ok I am so glad I bought my drysuit.
I am so anxiously waiting for Thursday to arrive so that I can do some real diving.
As well I am looking forward to the same wreck dives this Saturday.

CanuckInTexas:
So I have been on the phone for days now and it is not easy finding people to dive with in Newfoundland for this week. The dive operation listed here is open but they have limited diving this week. On that note, they are the only shop I can find in the St. John's area. I am starting to get a little bummed out here. All that water, a new dry suit, and no diving. :(

Is there anyone interested in diving on the 11th during the day?
Oceanquest has the best reputation by far but if they're aren't available try The Dive Center at 36 Pippy Place. The guys name is Don Herritt and the number is 709-754-8124. Their website is www.thedivecenterltd.com but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. They do trips to the wrecks, they have O2 and they're cheaper than oceanquest. I dived with them last summer and had a great time. However, their dives are set up more casually, like a club. You probably won't get the service that you'd get at OQ but you'll still have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom