belt to pocket weight ratio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubberduck

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all

I'm a new member both here and to the diving community. This is a great site, you can learn a ton of stuff from here.

I'm just finishing up my 1st setup (been renting for the 1st few dives). I have a SeQuest pro unlimited with surelock and have been reading the pros and cons of the pockets. I was thinking of using a belt along with the pockets but what is the proper weight distribution? I dive with 32lbs in cold water, would 24 on the belt and 8 in the pockets be a good ratio?

If I don't go with the belt will 12lbs in each pocket and 5 in each back pocket be a good setup? I'm just leaning away from putting that much weight in the dump pockets.

Thanks for any help.

Actually, this really depends on how you want to be oriented in the water. And how your body is made up. You will have to experiment with this and the placement of the strap on the tank to get what you want.

It took me about 6 dives to get to my weight distribution now. I used 8 lbs and now I use 10. I have 3 in each rear pocket and 2 in each front pocket. Sometimes I appreciate the extra weight and sometimes dont but this was so much easier than putting in 1 pound in the front pockets. This is my setup for AL80 and AL100. For the new 95 tanks I switch the front and rear because the tank is longer and pulls me vertical.

For a good place to start your experimenting, I heard go for 60-40 but since 5 lbs is I think the max for the rear pockets of this bc, I would go for your last setup. I would also like to say to give integrated a chance. Some people havent found their right configuration and just go back to the belt. Give it a few dives.

I own a Seaquest PRO QD BC and I dive with it quite often. I used to dive a lot heavier than I do now and in the front weight pockets I would put 15lbs in each. If I can remember corectly that is 3lbs heavier than they recommend but I never had any problems (I AM NOT SAYING THAT WHAT I DID WAS THE RIGHT WAY OR SAFE BUT IT WORKED FINE FOR ME).

The surelock weight system is very strong and you will have no problem with loading 12lbs in the pockets and 5 in each of the trim pockets. More than likely after you get some more experience in the water you will probably be able to dive with less weight.

On another note you have a pretty nice BC and it should last you for a long time.

rubberduck:
I was thinking of using a belt along with the pockets but what is the proper weight distribution? I dive with 32lbs in cold water, would 24 on the belt and 8 in the pockets be a good ratio?
You need to look at the goals

1. Have some ditchable weight, so that even if you have a BC failure right at the beginning of the dive, that you can get positive on the surface. For a single AL80, 6# or more of ditchable weight would achieve this provided you are not overweighted (6# is the weight of 80 cubic feet of air).

2. Weight distribution in such a way that you can assume any orientation and stay there without moving. It's easy to arrange weights such that when you are swimming that you can compensate and get level. It's much harder to get weight distribution right for the case where you are hanging motionless.

3. Weight distributed so that none of your pockets are overloaded.

-------------------------

Before you worry about trimming, you need to be sure that 32 pounds is really right. Then the trick is to just stop ALL movement during a dive and see what happens. This will tell you if you need more weight up high or low.

I think a lot of it is going to be based on what you find out that you prefer. Also, as mentioned, how you need your weights distributed to properly trim you out. I had a Seaquest Pro QD+ and started with all weight in the pockets (over 20lb total) and then started wearing an 8lb weight belt with the rest in the BC pockets. This felt most comfortable for me. I also stopped using the trim pockets in the back as I tend to have floaty feet and the trim pockets are too high up on the BC for me. I simply moved my tank down lower in my BC to help compensate. Everyone is different, you will find out what feels best and works best for you. Good luck and enjoy!

:eyebrow: IF you have front and rear pockets that hold the weight you need to dive why wear a belt. I assume with 32#'s you are diving wet. A weight belt has the tendency to slip as the wetsuit compresses. I never liked it. I have a Creesi with 9 in each front pocket that are ditchable, 3 in each upper rear pocket and 1 in each lower pocket. Works great for me

Hi Mike,

Do you mind telling which Cressi you dive? Very little feedback on any Cressi BCs anywhere and I found they fit me very well. I would especially like to find out how useful and versatile their weight system is (in search of a trim still). I would definitely like to trash my weight belt altogether but am worried about my weird float genes. (I am prone to nose-pivot instead of fin-pivot, and I have labeled myself +8lbs buoyant since I will float – in bikini motionless – with 8lbs of soft weights on my belly/small of my back or palms …. and sink with by the 9th pound… Have you guys done any comparative tests? Am I a freak?)

If this is beyond the scope of the thread feel free to PM me about the Cressi BC in general, all feedback is appreciated since I am planning to purchase my first BC (or wings) very soon.

Cheers,

Piikki

piikki:
Hi Mike,

Do you mind telling which Cressi you dive? Very little feedback on any Cressi BCs anywhere and I found they fit me very well. I would especially like to find out how useful and versatile their weight system is (in search of a trim still). I would definitely like to trash my weight belt altogether but am worried about my weird float genes. (I am prone to nose-pivot instead of fin-pivot, and I have labeled myself +8lbs buoyant since I will float – in bikini motionless – with 8lbs of soft weights on my belly/small of my back or palms …. and sink with by the 9th pound… Have you guys done any comparative tests? Am I a freak?)

If this is beyond the scope of the thread feel free to PM me about the Cressi BC in general, all feedback is appreciated since I am planning to purchase my first BC (or wings) very soon.

Cheers,

Piikki

Piikki

WAs gone over the Holidays so sorry for the late reply.

I use the Creesi S111. The newer version has two small trim pockets on each side of the will the older version had one on each side. You can easily put five pounds on each pocket and up to 12 in each front (dumpable pocket).

http://www.cressi-sub.it/cressiusa/prodotti.asp?lan=&id_c=8&id_p=14

As many have said whatever works for you. It should be driven by getting your trim right and since each location has different leverage points it's important to consider your options.

Weight belt (hard or soft) You do need to keep any eye on it's fit as you descend and may have trouble if you don't have hips. This will keep your butt and legs down. Harness setups like the DUI Weight & Trim are a varriation.

Next are your integrated ditchable pockets. usually good for a total of 20 pounds. Lighter or no belt but a heavier BC to don is the cost.

BC trim pockets out back and non ditchable, usually a max total of 10 pounds. helpful for sinking legs/high head. Non ditchable and adds to BC weight, use as needed.

For the sake of trim alone do not ignore cylinder selection and position in the bands. depending on it's properties it can influence you differently at different points in the dive as air mass drops.

With all of 4 post certification dives under my belt I will suggest that you pay attention to how things are behaving more than tweak for a few dives. After 4 dives my wife and I are already finding that we can drop a good amount of weight (using the same methods) and are starting to put it all together. So try whatever seems comfortable and see what happens.

Have fun,
Pete

rubberduck:
Hello all

I'm a new member both here and to the diving community. This is a great site, you can learn a ton of stuff from here.

I'm just finishing up my 1st setup (been renting for the 1st few dives). I have a SeQuest pro unlimited with surelock and have been reading the pros and cons of the pockets. I was thinking of using a belt along with the pockets but what is the proper weight distribution? I dive with 32lbs in cold water, would 24 on the belt and 8 in the pockets be a good ratio?

If I don't go with the belt will 12 lbs in each pocket and 5 in each back pocket be a good setup? I'm just leaning away from putting that much weight in the dump pockets.

Thanks for any help.

rubberduck:
Hello all

If I don't go with the belt will 12lbs in each pocket and 5 in each back pocket be a good setup? I'm just leaning away from putting that much weight in the dump pockets.

Thanks for any help.
I use the same BC in a large size. The pockets have an upper and lower chambers and I put 4 pounds in each, for a total of 16 lbs. in salt water from about 65 to 85 degrees with a 2.5 or 3 mil shorty. I had web and velcro straps sewn on like the older non-surelock pockets, which also worked fine for me, had to keep the hard weights I use from sliding around. This way does make you a little forward heavy on the surface but works well for ME. You have to decide for yourself what is right for YOU. I don't use any rear pocket weight.
I also install the pockets after I put on the BC, just before I drop. I take them out at the end and hand them up to captain or deck hand before climbing up the ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom