Dive Preparations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgil

Contributor
Reaction score
been talking recently over what preparations my buddies make in respect of food intake in the few days leading up to a day's diving. Opinions seem to vary between complex carb loading, high protein, high energy/slow release etc but without too much consistency.

does anyone have a particular routine and justification for what they eat prior to diving or is it just choke down a couple of Snickers bars and go for it?

Virgil:
been talking recently over what preparations my buddies make in respect of food intake in the few days leading up to a day's diving. Opinions seem to vary between complex carb loading, high protein, high energy/slow release etc but without too much consistency.

does anyone have a particular routine and justification for what they eat prior to diving or is it just choke down a couple of Snickers bars and go for it?

i just eat normally. except before the first dive of the day wherein i eat a light snack instead of a heavy one. if you ask me its all a matter of personal preference with regards to what you eat or how you prepare yourself for diving.

Virgil:

A Snickers bar would do it!
No, seriously... I never prepare days ahead, but I don't like to dive on an empty stomach either. My best preparation is to eat a bowl of oatmeal porridge with jam and milk an hour or so before the dive. Keeps me energized and non-burping.

All I know is don't eat something you know will make gas. Coming up with contained gas formed at depth expands and causes cramps. I find it hard to expell gas at depth.

pieohpah:
A Snickers bar would do it!
No, seriously... I never prepare days ahead, but I don't like to dive on an empty stomach either. My best preparation is to eat a bowl of oatmeal porridge with jam and milk an hour or so before the dive. Keeps me energized and non-burping.

I like something well-burbing and garlic. It doesn't disturb anyone or only the boatman....

I eat normally until the night before the dive/dives and then I restrict my diet to high carb/calorie low fiber foods. I also refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages the night before.

I make sure that I eat early in the evening the night before if there is a morning dive. I awaken the day of the dive early in order to get the bodily functions working prior to hitting the beach/dive boat.

I hydrate myself very good the night before but abstain from excessive hydration immediately before the dive/dives.

Between dives I'll drink a small bottle of water and perhaps have a peanut butter and honey sandwhich.

the K

For normal recreational dives I don't find that any change in diet is needed.

I have made the mistake of skipping breakfast before an early morning dive, and find that this makes me much more prone to getting chilled.

Surface interval diet between dives is multiple handfuls of Oreo cookies :wink:

My usual routine is just to eat light for breakfast, something bland, like scrambled eggs and toast. I found that I'm more likely to have seasickness or "other" issues out on the boat if I eat greasy foods or a heavy meal for breakfast.

I also try to eat a decent dinner. Something that I figure will be well "purged" before getting on the boat.

I often wonder what's worse: a boat without a marine head, or one with.

Well, this is kind of scarey.. this is so close to my routine, including between dive snack.... I've taken to chewing a Power Bar before and AFTER the dives along with a last pint of water prior and post to keep the ole body hydrated.

The Kraken:
I eat normally until the night before the dive/dives and then I restrict my diet to high carb/calorie low fiber foods. I also refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages the night before.

I make sure that I eat early in the evening the night before if there is a morning dive. I awaken the day of the dive early in order to get the bodily functions working prior to hitting the beach/dive boat.

I hydrate myself very good the night before but abstain from excessive hydration immediately before the dive/dives.

Between dives I'll drink a small bottle of water and perhaps have a peanut butter and honey sandwhich.

the K

I keep alcohol to a minimum at most times anyway so not having a drink on the night before a dive is rarely a problem. I don't drink alcohol at all when I am on a diving vacation. On the morning of a dive I try not to drink any caffinated beverages, so I skip my normal morning coffee. I try to eat a normal breakfast. Lots of water or juice, before, between, and after dives.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom