A plea.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I don’t think I am alone here with seeking problem solving suggestions in the event problems occur. That probably most divers seek to not have trouble occur in the first place but unfortunately ‘feces occurs’. As a new diver without a tight knit family to educate me I’m some what on my own and I doubt I’m alone. So I read these questions and realize; potential problems I had not considered, as well as situations I have found myself and hoping for enlightenment should they occur.

Quite frequently I see questions asked that are answered with patent replies and I think the answers are missing the point. I just read a question describing a situation and asking for suggestions to resolve the problem should it happen again. So far there were 4 answers and three were the pick better buddies solution. So us noobs, and maybe many more experienced divers as well, find ourselves in situations where a better buddy would have been a good idea. But that doesn’t solve the current problem, unlike Superman, we cannot turn back time.

Pointing out what they could have done prior to the situation/problem/issue is really answering a different question. When someone asks for solutions I think it would be more helpful if you could please try to concentrate on what to do about the problem.

Thank you.

Lisa

Lisa,
I'm sorry you've received the responses that you have.

Unfortunately, that is the nature of some people. Some members offer up sound, helpful advice and others just take a "well, you should have known better" attitude.

You'll also notice, from time to time, that when a poster asks for information or advice on a product s/he plans to purchase, the responses that are forthcoming are nothing more than why a particular diver thinks her/his particular selection of equipment is better than that chosen by the person asking for advice.

About the best I can do is to offer up an old adage, "Consider the source and forget it."

If there is a member of the board who's posts you've followed and feel that s/he gives sound advice, perhaps dropping her/him a PM with the question will generate a quicker and more valuable response for you.

Sorry I can't do better.

Please don't let these responses influence your desire to be a valuable member of ScubaBoard.

Lead by example . . . :wink:

the K

Yes, this is the world of internet forums. Unfortunately, there are always plenty of folks looking for the opportunity to berate what they in their own "wisdom" deem to be a dumb question. It happens on every forum.

Fortunately, there are also plenty of intelligent, experienced people on this forum who are happy to help a newbie or anyone else that needs an answer. You sometimes have to be patient and fish through the goon squad to get to people who actually have the knowledge and courtesy to answer your question.

Keep posting.....

DaFireMedic:
Yes, this is the world of internet forums. Unfortunately, there are always plenty of folks looking for the opportunity to berate what they in their own "wisdom" deem to be a dumb question. It happens on every forum.

Fortunately, there are also plenty of intelligent, experienced people on this forum who are happy to help a newbie or anyone else that needs an answer. You sometimes have to be patient and fish through the goon squad to get to people who actually have the knowledge and courtesy to answer your question.

Keep posting.....
Let me just add one thing DA.

The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked!

Reference your first paragraph. What these people seem to forget is that we were ALL new divers once ourselves.

Gary D.

One of the things I have noticed about most all BBs is that almost everyone *wants* to help. In many cases, the help is in the form of past experience of various individuals.

While I have not been a member here for very long, I do find that eventually someone who is knowledgeable about a question will answer.

The bottom line in my opinion is to take the good information (or what is useful to you) and ignore the rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom