Surgical Tubing Or Bungee Cord?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie

Contributor
Reaction score
When making your necklace for your backup reg or bands to hold your hose to you stage bottle, is it better to use surgical tubing or bungee cord? It seems like bungee cord would last longer in the sun/dry conditions but, I'm not sure.

Also, I what is the best size of bicycle tubing to get for rigging gear?

Thanks All

For the reg - you can use either. I have both, which ever you like more.

The innertube - For the back up lights, you want to use the bicycle size, you may want to put an extra piece or two on in case the inner tube breaks (won't have to re-thread the harness). You can also use very thin sugrical tubing or a lantern stlye light's face O-ring.

Eric

I use 1/4 " surgical tubing because it compresses flatter when I zip tie it to the mouth piece

Originally posted by ElectricZombie
.....Also, I what is the best size of bicycle tubing to get for rigging gear?

Thanks All

We used mountain bike inner tube.

I use bungee on mine, no zip ties, it is in the knot that I posted instructions to tie a while back, over 100 dives with it and no problems.

Shane uses bungee on both his rigs...
I use bungee on one of mine and it has slipped several times...
I use surgical tubing on the other and it never has slipped...
We don't use knots... just zip ties...
Installed with my hyper-precision zip tie installer :D

I use 1/8" bungie for the backup. Just tie a knot in each end of the bungie and slip it under the zip tie when you put it on the reg. Simpler is better! :wink:

Mountain Bike tire inner tube for the shoulder backup light holders. Make sure to put at least one extra one on each side... it's a bee-otch having to re do your harness to replace one inner tube piece!

Thanks guys. I was going to take my technical class soon, and decided to go ahead and get some of the smaller items out of the way. I think I'll go with surgical tubing since it's less likely to slip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom