Oceanic ProPlus 2 Computer

Is diving with a computer a modern day necessity?

• No, it is a waste of money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRooney

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been using the Oceanic ProPlus 2 dive computer for a few years now.
Has anyone had any experience with this computer and have comments suggestions to new users, even when using the computer link... Post here please!
Mike

I am a mac user and I bought Virtual PC for Mac version 7 - with Windows XP Professional. I have the "Windows" working fine after a few hours of tweaking, but has anyone successfully installed and used the Oceanic Software OceanLog™ software on the Mac?

MRooney:
I have the "Windows" working fine after a few hours of tweaking, but has anyone successfully installed and used the Oceanic Software OceanLog™ software on the Mac?
Don't bother. The OceanLog software is a total hack. It's buggy, missing lots of features, and completely unstable. If you can manage to download the dive data from your computer, export it ASAP to a spreadsheet or something else and use another program.

As a fellow Mac user, I feel your pain. I was thinking of getting one of these sensus pro's to get the various bits of info.

It's really sucks that Oceanic can't make decent software. I don't think they're too far off from making OceanLog rock.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I kind of figured it was a hacked up attempt to do something cool. I hope they come out with something soon because I just bought the cable for close to 100 bucks! That sucks - figures. Wish I could write my own software for the Mac... a real computer. :) Thanks again.
Mike

dolbersen:
Don't bother. The OceanLog software is a total hack. It's buggy, missing lots of features, and completely unstable. If you can manage to download the dive data from your computer, export it ASAP to a spreadsheet or something else and use another program.

As a fellow Mac user, I feel your pain. I was thinking of getting one of these sensus pro's to get the various bits of info.

It's really sucks that Oceanic can't make decent software. I don't think they're too far off from making OceanLog rock.

The Oceanlog program looks like it's an MS-Access engine. Anybody have any luck exporting tables and generating custom reports from MS-Access?

MRooney:
I am a mac user and I bought Virtual PC for Mac version 7 - with Windows XP Professional. I have the "Windows" working fine after a few hours of tweaking, but has anyone successfully installed and used the Oceanic Software OceanLog™ software on the Mac?

Yup. Am using OceanLog via Virtual PC for Mac 7 on my PowerBook G4. No problems so far. I do agree with others that OceanLog is rather badly designed.

mack50md:
The Oceanlog program looks like it's an MS-Access engine. Anybody have any luck exporting tables and generating custom reports from MS-Access?
I have an Aeris Elite and the database is MS access as well. I had trouble opening my files in access, i think they were coded specifically for the downloaded. I was looking to merge 2 data bases into one. Not much luck either.

I have an older Oceanic ProPlus air integrated computer that uses the infrared interface for downloads.

I do love the ability of working my logs via the computer but I find the Ocean log software to be a bit frustrating to use. Sometimes I am forced to download the same dives several times because initial attempts did not collect all the information or it collected incorrect information. Also, when clicking the Ocean log icon I get a pop up window that I have to cancel before I even get to the Ocean log menu items.

Not enough options in the poll. Diving with a computer is not a necessity. Dive tables work very well, thank you very much. Do I use a computer? Yes, but I check my tables for most dives and then compare the computer to the tables. Making multiple dives over several days is what makes a computer very useful. That is the only reason I ever bought one.

I have to agree that diving with a computer provides a comfort zone. It is still good to plan the dive via tables and use the computer as a useful back up. I cannot name how many times I have relied upon my computer to keep track of times, surface intervals etc...when diving multiple dives a day...having a computer is incredibly useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom