Splash in a second time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've been diving 60-90fsw all week in Jamaica. The last day the weather is bad and waves a little taller. We splash in and go to 75fsw to find only sand and grass. Fin along for 5 minutes against a strong current looking for the reef and DM thumbs the dive.

Five others climb on the boat with no safety stop. I do 2 minutes and climb on board. The DM says we are relocating and splashing in again. I say "no way - 7 minutes in the water, max 75fsw, 5 minute surface interval, and I'm flying tomorrow" and I stay on the boat. Plus we have no new tanks so I'd only have maybe 15 minutes max of air. My dive buddy thinks about it a second, has the option to go with the DM, and stays on the boat too. We agreed better safe than sorry. Oh, and the Cobra shows no alarms since the safety stop was optional.

Was I being overly cautious? Would you have splashed in a second time?

(BTW, riding the boat was fun in the mild-heavy seas, and the others got in 10 minutes and said it was no good due to current and visibility.)

Willar:
Was I being overly cautious? Would you have splashed in a second time?

(BTW, riding the boat was fun in the mild-heavy seas, and the others got in 10 minutes and said it was no good due to current and visibility.)

I don't think the phrase "overly cautious" and diving belong together, you can never be too safe in this dangerous sport. To quote James Bond (sorta), it's better to live to "Dive Another Day."

Kriterian:
I don't think the phrase "overly cautious" and diving belong together, you can never be too safe in this dangerous sport. To quote James Bond (sorta), it's better to live to "Dive Another Day."

I agree with this statement completely.

"Any diver can call any dive for any reason"

I agree with the comments that say you shouldn't worry about about being overly cautious with your diving decisions, but there were a couple of pieces of information that would be helpful in providing you with input. Such as how long was your computer saying you had to wait to fly and how many hours were there until your flight? I do 3 or 4 dives a day for usually 5 days in row when I go on my trips to Florida and usually at least half of them are 100'+. I always wait 24 hours from exiting the water on my last dive to flying. I plan it so that I can get two dives on the last day of diving though, get out by noon and fly around 1 or 2 p.m. the next day.

I had 29 hours until flight time so I was OK on that.

I agree that I am responsible for myself. I will not follow a group like cattle. That's why I declined to dive again.

According to the charts I could have splashed in for another 9 minutes. I don't regret the decision, I just thought I get some feedback.

You made the right choice. You felt uncomfortable with the dive and that's reason enough. For all you know, the other diver's might not have been flying as soon as you.

I like you're statement below. I think it sums it up.

Willar:
I agree that I am responsible for myself. I will not follow a group like cattle. That's why I declined to dive again.

I think you did the right thing. I'd probably have made the same decision as you did under the same circumstance.

Willar:
I had 29 hours until flight time so I was OK on that.

According to the charts I could have splashed in for another 9 minutes. I don't regret the decision, I just thought I get some feedback.

It was the right decision for you. If in doubt, don't do the dive. Having said that, given the situation you described, I do not think the DM was being being irresponsible by letting people back in the water. His mistake was not finding the reef the first time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom