what man-eating sharks are found in Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i was just wondering if there are any man eaters in philippine waters? havent heard of any shark attacks here lately. i am assuming that we are better of than other countries. i could be wrong though. i have been reading a lot of rogue sharks that are now found in areas that they wouldnt normally be found at.

Spoon:
i was just wondering if there are any man eaters in philippine waters? .

babayius ilonggas specifically my ex wife......Come on dude, you set this one up on purpose. :D

As a marine biologist, I think I can say with certainty that there are NO man eating sharks in the Philippines or anywhere else that I'm aware of. However, there are sharks that will eat people (they do not discriminate between men and women, at least as far as I know).

drbill:
As a marine biologist, I think I can say with certainty that there are NO man eating sharks in the Philippines or anywhere else that I'm aware of. However, there are sharks that will eat people (they do not discriminate between men and women, at least as far as I know).

ok i may have asked the wrong question. maybe it dint seem politically correct to say "man eating":) i was just wondering if there were any sharks in my country that could eat people thats all. i have only been diving for 4 months and this is a question that is always in the back of my head. i grew up with jaws etc. etc.

Hank49:
babayius ilonggas specifically my ex wife......Come on dude, you set this one up on purpose. :D

was a serious question bro:)

Yea I grew up with Jaws too. Makes me look a bit cuckoo diving here off the coast of Northern California eh? The only sharks I've seen around here so far are the leopard and angel sharks. I'd love to see more sharks as long as they're not hungry Tigers, Mako, Great Hammerheads, or Great Whites :)

When I dove in Palawan this past March, I spotted in the far distance a couple of grey reef sharks. My dive master told me a story of when he happened to plunge into a mating frenzy of grey reef sharks. He barely made it out of there.

.mike

Spoon:
ok i may have asked the wrong question. maybe it dint seem politically correct to say "man eating":) i was just wondering if there were any sharks in my country that could eat people thats all. i have only been diving for 4 months and this is a question that is always in the back of my head. i grew up with jaws etc. etc.

I was just teasing ya! I would assume you would have tiger sharks there and a few others that MIGHT nip at a human being. It has been a while since I've dived Asia or the South Pacific, but I never had any trouble with the sharks I encountered while I was there.

Here people worry about the great white. In nearly 45 years of diving (well, 36 here in SoCal) the onlty time I've seen a GWS (other than topside) was when I was cage diving to film them off Guadalupe Island).

Spoon:

Spoon,

Delve into the statistics a bit. Your chances of getting bitten (let alone eaten) by a shark are smaller than winning the lottery. There have only been about 250 shark attacks on divers *ever* and of those only about 50 were fatal and only 1 took place in the Philippines. Weigh that against the 10's of millions of scuba dives being made in a year and you get the picture.

White sharks, tiger sharks and sand tigers account for about 60% of the attacks. White sharks account for nearly 47%.

R..

shugar:
do politicians who dive and/or swim count?

Jag

PS
for what it's worth i hear maui taylor dives... she's no shark but she can take a bite off this diver anytime :eyebrow:
I think that there's a lot more Shark-eating-Men than Man-eating-sharks out there....

BTW
I love Maui! :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom