Closest dive sites from Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narcd_dvr

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there any dives sites in Luzon thats a couple of hours (by car) from Makati? Any dive operators you recommend in that area? I'll be in Manila in August and the dates I have available to dive is on the 12th and 14th. So basically, I wanna leave Makati early morning, get 2 or 3 of dives and go back early afternoon, repeat the routine a couple of days later :)

subzero:
Are there any dives sites in Luzon thats a couple of hours (by car) from Makati? Any dive operators you recommend in that area? I'll be in Manila in August and the dates I have available to dive is on the 12th and 14th. So basically, I wanna leave Makati early morning, get 2 or 3 of dives and go back early afternoon, repeat the routine a couple of days later :)

that would be anilao in batangas...roughly 2 hours from makati

anilao definitely...

if you leave in the pre-dawn (around 3 am) and get there by 6 max you can dive till lunch and leave asap (about 1+)... should get back to manila just as the rush hour traffic begins (about 4-5)

it's not early afternoon but if you're not driving nor taking public transportation you can sleep off your nitrogen load on the way

have fun!

Jag

Jag/Jonix,
Thanks for the info, very much appreciate it. Definitely, looking forward to diving in tropical waters, for a change. Should be a good break from Texas lake divings, where viz are below 10 ft.

Enrique

subzero:

Subic Bay is about 2.5 hours north of Manila and has some fabulous wreck diving. The best website to checkout about the location, seasonality, dives and operators is www.coolsubic.com/scuba/

stu2:
Subic Bay is about 2.5 hours north of Manila and has some fabulous wreck diving. The best website to checkout about the location, seasonality, dives and operators is www.coolsubic.com/scuba/

Thanks for the link. Subic is definitely more doable than Anilao from what I've heard.

subzero,

when you say Subic is doable do you mean that it's quicker? Because in my experience it will probably take you about an hour less to get to Anilao. I think everyone has slightly underestimated travel times by stating the time you will get with absolutely no traffic. The problem is those conditions are rare! It usually takes me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to get to anilao Batangas from the airport. For Subic it is more like a little more than 4 hours. Once I went up on a Friday night at the end of the month (payday) and the trip took almost 8 hours!

Both have good, though very different, diving. You will need to choose whether an hour less and a broad diversity of coral, muck and drift dives or an hour more and good wreck, wreck, wreck diving. Tough choice :) - Have fun!

Scuby Dooby:
I think everyone has slightly underestimated travel times by stating the time you will get with absolutely no traffic. The problem is those conditions are rare! It usually takes me about 3 - 3 1/2 hours to get to anilao Batangas from the airport. For Subic it is more like a little more than 4 hours. Once I went up on a Friday night at the end of the month (payday) and the trip took almost 8 hours!

I know nothing about Anilao. I've lived in Manila and travelled to Subic and I'm living in Subic now. C'mon, 4 hours to Subic, you've got to be kidding. It takes me (regularly) 2.75 hours (in the daytime) to travel from San Juan, Manila to Subic Town, Zambales (at least 15-20 minutes past SBMA) and that's including all traffic you'll encounter on EDSA, Manila. Of course, if you insist on leaving during the friday evening rush (ahem 6) hours you may never make it (I didn't 1 time). Subzero has already said he's going to be leaving in the wee small hours of the morning. I'd guess he'd make it in under 2.5 hours from Makati to SBMA. Of course, assuming he's not doing the driving himself.

Here's how I'd break it down at that time of day.. Makati-Balintawak (via EDSA) 15-20 mins, Balintawak-San Fernando 50 mins, San Fernando-Dinalupian 45-50 mins, Dinalupian-SBMA 25-30 mins, Total: 2hrs 30mins (These are generous times since that is what I do them in during the daytime with moderate traffic). The most unpredictable part of the journey is that part on EDSA (due to traffic conditions), and that is very predictable in the early morning hours. The North Luzon Tollway portion is a breeze now that all the tollway work has been completed.

subzero:
Thanks for the link. Subic is definitely more doable than Anilao from what I've heard.

i would choose anilao over subic anyday. plus anilao is more convenient to get to than subic

subzero:

Maybe you can do Anilao on the 12th, then Subic on the 14th.
This way, you get to see the colorful corals of Anilao, and the wonderful wrecks of Subic..USS New York is a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom