North Carolina - Getting from New Bern to Morehead City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there anyone from NC, or familiar with diving down there that can give me suggestions on how I might get from the New Bern airport to Morehead City? I'm strongly considering flying, since I don't really want to deal with the 15 hour drive, but I've not figured out how I would get from the airport to Olympus Dive Center. I _could_ rent a car, but that just seems way to expensive to rent a car for a week just to drive to and from the airport.

Any suggestions?

Unless you like being stuck in one spot, you are going to have to rent a car anyway...or bum a ride from someone..or a taxi which will end up costing as much as a car. The Morehead water frount and the beaches are several miles apart, I am assuming you will want to go the the beach during the SI. Also, are you staying near the dive op? If not, how are you going to get between the dive op and the hotel? I have not looked into ticket prices but it may be cheaper to fly in to Raleigh (RDU) and rent a car and drive from there, about a 3 hr drive, almost all of which is good 4 lane. By the way, you can sometimes rent pickup trucks cheaper than cars.

Originally posted by herman
Also, are you staying near the dive op? If not, how are you going to get between the dive op and the hotel?

Actually I'm staying _at_ the dive op [Olympus Diving's bunk house]. There are a few people driving down, so once I get there I don't think getting around would be an issue. I unfortunately was late into the game, so all the car pooling has been decided already, so my options are fly down, or drive the 15 hours alone [not my idea of a good time].

I have not looked into ticket prices but it may be cheaper to fly in to Raleigh (RDU)

I've looked at Wilmington, Raleigh, and New Bern, and the flights are all $190. I decided New Bern would be the best since it was the closest, but it's all too far to walk! :) The estimates I found at expedia for a car was $187, which is way pricey for 2 hours of driving! I was hoping they might have a shuttle bus or something that could take me.

Just saw this:

Bus service by Carolina Trailways, (252) 726-3029, arrives in Morehead City once a day at 105 N. 13th Street. Connections to Morehead City from all directions are made in Raleigh; connections north and south may be made in New Bern.

Maybe someone could come pick you up? Not sure the distance but I do not think it would too bad. Offer to buy dinner or something as an added bonus.....:)

Tommy

Hi Jeff,

I know this is an old message you posted, but I will be having the same problem- looking for a flight into raleigh and needing transportation to/from Morehead city (or even New Bern). How did you work this out? The only options i've found so far are greyhound bus (which only travels once/day at very inconvenient times) or renting a car for 5 days when i only need to get to/from the airport.

If anyone else has other suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks,
Nat

If you rent a car, I would suggest taking Hwy 55 east and follow the signs to Minnesot Beach Ferry and go thru Beaufort. This will bring you on the main road that comes into MOrehead city. When you come into M.C., you will be very close to Olympus dive shop and the lodge. I find this easier and more senic than going down 70. The traffic on Fri PM can be horrendous.

Robert:doctor:

I forgot to add that you will need a car to get around. The waterfront area in Beaufort has a lot of good restaraunts and shops. There are some good ones close to the Olympus dive center, but I prefer the Beaufort area.

Robert:doctor:

Thanks for the tip. I'm close to deciding to get a rental car, but since I'm going to visit my mom in Beaufort, she has offered her car to get around town. New Bern might be worth the extra $100 to fly there instead of Raleigh. I appreciate your input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom