First Dives since OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Gurl82

Contributor
Reaction score
On Monday, I will be doing my first dives since my OW in Oct. I will be diving in a lake (cold water) which is about 60 feet deep. I will be doing two dives, one off of the boat ramp and then a boat dive. Any last minute advice or suggestions for me? :crafty:

1. Dress warm
2. Go with a more experienced buddy.
3. Plan conservative dives.
4. Have fun.

Diver_Gurl82:
On Monday, I will be doing my first dives since my OW in Oct. I will be diving in a lake (cold water) which is about 60 feet deep. I will be doing two dives, one off of the boat ramp and then a boat dive. Any last minute advice or suggestions for me? :crafty:

Just Relax! I know that sounds easier said than done but the more diving you do the better you will be at it. So if you make a mistake, just go on and learn from it. After 2.5 years and 45+ dives later I am still learning.

Don't hesitate to signal when you get cold and want to end the dive, or if you are having any other problem like equalizing. Sometimes newer divers are reluctant to slow down or call a dive with a more experienced buddy (although I think this is probably more of a male thing,) that is a mistake to avoid.

If it's a low vis lake, stay very close to your buddy at all times and be sure to review - and if necessary to use it stick to - your contingency plan for buddy separation (1 minute search, then slow, safe ascent to look for each other on the surface.)

Stay a good distance from the bottom so you don't kick up any silt and ruin the visability.
Don't forget that your going to be hitting thermoclines in the lake every 20 - 30 feet, like jamiep3 said DRESS WARM.

get as warm as possible between the dives...if you're cold getting in the water after the first dive, you're going to be very cold after 10 mins on the second dive..

What lake? I'll be in VT at the end of the month, usually dive in Caspian Lake and Champlain. Allways interested in new spots.

Practice, practice, practice. I'm at 15 dives now (only diving for 2+ months now) and get more comfortable with each dive. Had my first Ocean/Boat/Wreck dives last week at 70 and 80 ft. I'm also halfway through AOW cert. Keep up the diving education.

If possible, ask another woman how much thermal protection she has worn for a similar dive. I have often found asking men has led me to be underprotected at times. If you can't ask a woman, add 2mm to whatever a guy has worn to be on the safe side if you are cold natured. That, or wear a hood. You can always remove it if you are too warm.

Back
Top Bottom