Should i go and take up rebreather? What do i gain out of it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebreather are expensive, IMHO, if you don't know what the benifits are, and why you should be doing it, then you don't need to do it...enjoy your diving for a while, then when you know what a rebreather will do for you, then you can think about taking the course..

I tried a rebreather in a pool one time at the suggestion of the LDS owner. After about 15 min., I decided that a rebreather was not for me. It felt like breathing in and out of a paper bag. I realize that this is far too short of a trial to get a good test of it, but it was enough for me.

Try one before you sign up for a rebreather class. It definitely feels different, and its not for everyone.

There is a thread on www.rebreatherworld.com about this very thing here. You will find many experienced rebreather divers there who can give you a better answer to your question.

(right Stefan?)

DaFireMedic:
Try one before you sign up for a rebreather class. It definitely feels different, and its not for everyone.
Definately a good idea. I would try it first but remember it takes some getting used to 15 minutes is not enough time. If you have not purchased your major scuba equipment then going rebreather is not much more expensive. Daily maintenance and consumable costs are slightly higher than someone diving nitrox. Once you get into trimix the RB wins hands down for economy. If I was starting out again I would go straight to RB and not spend thousands on double tanks regs etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom