Shot my first Halibut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool! Wish we had them. I love flounder, but they don't get near as big as halibut do.

I can really, REALLY get worked up over a grilled halibut steak :D

nice, was that the only fish that you saw? I've been thinking about doing that dive soon.

Yep. That was pretty much the only fish I saw worth shooting. I was out with BrianM on my first halibut excursion. I thought to myself, :shoot a halibut, or nothing at all." While cruising around, Brian and I saw a divot where a halibut was resting, so we knew one was nearby. And luckily I came upon the fish first.

I can't wait to do that dive again.

Ericson

JustinW:
nice, was that the only fish that you saw? I've been thinking about doing that dive soon.

scubajunkee:
Hi all,

I bagged my first halibut off Del Monte Beach in monterey, CA. 30 inches long, 10lbs. I shot it just behind the eyes and it was stunned. Check out the picture.

Ericson

Nice fish! Congratulations! Do they taste like flounder -- real white, mild meat?

scubajunkee:
Yep. That was pretty much the only fish I saw worth shooting. I was out with BrianM on my first halibut excursion. I thought to myself, :shoot a halibut, or nothing at all." While cruising around, Brian and I saw a divot where a halibut was resting, so we knew one was nearby. And luckily I came upon the fish first.

I can't wait to do that dive again.

Ericson

Congrats on your first halibut!!

When halibut hunting I have seen some huge spots(divots as you call it) where a halibut "was" lol

Thats part of the hunting for a halibut and looking for signs of where they are.

Always remember when you find one there is usually more around the same depth also so zip zag the depth/area looking for another.

Congrats!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom