Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmurray

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Group,

I have just recently found this message board and notice that I recongize a lot of the folks posting. Hello Kevin, and Wendy, and the rest of you that I have met. I like the discussions so far.

I am located in Central Ohio at the present time, but will be moving to Northern Florida soon I hope. I'm moving there for one reason, cave diving. I have a passion for this sport that I can't explain. I'm going broke driving down twice a month, and really just need to make it permanent.

I do follow the DIR philosphy, and believe it works for all types of diving. I dive very cold water up here every week, and nothing on my rig changes when I go down to Florida to cave dive. I enjoy all types of cave diving, from short, slow swims, to scooter, and multiple stage dives.

I really hope to get to know more of you!

Peace,
-Bob Murray

Hey Bob,

Glad to see you found us hiding over here. A fare amount of DIR folks over here and several wanting to learn.

Wendy,

Yeah, I see there are a lot that want to learn, and get more information.

It doesn't really matter though, I just want to see whats going on in the cave diving community, and hopefully pick up some great information. We're all working towards the same goal, and thats to have fun cave diving, right?

Peace, and safe diving
-Bob

Glad to have you aboard. I hope you enjoy the board as much as we all do.

Chad

Bob,

Glad to hear you made your choice. Save some cave for me. I believe I'll be moving back down there when I write my masters test.

So....are you going to have a spare bed room for me?? :)

An what was that you said....you don't have to change any of your gear between diving cold great lakes water and the nice H2O down in Florida. How is that??? Is that possible???

Kevin

Bob,

Welcome to the Board and to the Technical Forum. We will all be looking forward to your posts, experience and questions. Jump in, swim down and turn on the light!

ID

Kevin,

Yeah, I'll have room. Likely moving to high springs, when I'm not sure yet. Things are coming together well thouhg.

I dive the exact same rig when up north as I do when I'm south. DUI CLX 450, C4, 55lb wings, full dir rig. They only thing I add when north are gloves or mitts. This seems to work out well for me. When north my exposures are limited to maybe 60 minutes including deco, so the C4 is perfect. Down South the exposures are much longer so the C4 works perfect even in 72 degree water, since were usually looking at a lot longer bottom time, and longer deco.

Like I said, nothing changes I just add gloves. I use to use bigger bolt snaps on stages for cold water, but got away from that this past winter. I made myself get used to using the small snaps with 3 finger mitts.

Later dude.
-Bob

Originally posted by rmurray
I dive the exact same rig when up north as I do when I'm south. DUI CLX 450, C4, 55lb wings, full dir rig. They only thing I add when north are gloves or mitts. This seems to work out well for me. When north my exposures are limited to maybe 60 minutes including deco, so the C4 is perfect. Down South the exposures are much longer so the C4 works perfect even in 72 degree water, since were usually looking at a lot longer bottom time, and longer deco.

Like I said, nothing changes I just add gloves. I use to use bigger bolt snaps on stages for cold water, but got away from that this past winter. I made myself get used to using the small snaps with 3 finger mitts.

Bob,

All I have to say is WOW! You mean that cave diving gear works just as well diving cold wrecks and such up north. I bet it works really well too. Go Figure! I wonder where else it would work, maybe every where......

Keep me posts at my email about the move. I think I will likely be making a weekend trip down there soon. I am looking to purchace a new Ford van. I will have to take it to Florida to break it in.

Kevin

Kevin,

Yeah, it surprised me too. I couldn't believe I was able to use the same gear for all my diving. It sure seems to save a lot of money. You know I was on that project I was telling you about, and used a single with the same rig as well? Go figure :)

New Ford, nice. I just had a new engine put in my 2000 astro, so I'm ready to rock and roll.

-Bob

We don't have any caves around here, so I drive to OKC, pick up my buddy, and head for Missouri. Last month I did my first trip to Fla. I'm working on my Cave cert and enjoying the diving and the knowledge gained from the board. I'm pretty much DIR. Some of my buddies aren't DIR and I still dive with them, so that's why I say "pretty much".

Dave

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom