Sedona, AZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LindaBluedolphin

Resident/Token Treehugger
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to be in Sedona end of October, and was wondering if there are any lakes around there to dive? I did a Google Search and came up empty, did not even find a dive shop in the area. I contacted one AZ shop that came up in the search about an Altitude Class, but they did not respond and that was about 10 days ago.

I suspect there is nothing there, and having to drive off the mountain to dive is not really an option since I would have to drive back up to altitude when I am done. So I just thought I would ask. I did some altitude diving in my AOW, but that was 11 years ago.

I was in Sedona last year and had a great time exploring and would be happy to do that again, but thought it might be fun to do something different in fresh water.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

LindaBluedolphin:
I am going to be in Sedona end of October, and was wondering if there are any lakes around there to dive? I did a Google Search and came up empty, did not even find a dive shop in the area. I contacted one AZ shop that came up in the search about an Altitude Class, but they did not respond and that was about 10 days ago.

I suspect there is nothing there, and having to drive off the mountain to dive is not really an option since I would have to drive back up to altitude when I am done. So I just thought I would ask. I did some altitude diving in my AOW, but that was 11 years ago.

I was in Sedona last year and had a great time exploring and would be happy to do that again, but thought it might be fun to do something different in fresh water.

Thanks in advance.

Linda
I think you're out of luck, even Summit Divers in Flagstaff does their checkout dives at Lake Pleasant near Phoenix.

I think the deepest water near Sedona is that little pool at the bottom of Slide Rock....or the pool at your hotel.

I've been to most of the lakes on the Rim, Stoneman, Mary, Mormon, Ashurst, most of them are just deep enough to float a boat(Upper Mary and Mormon dry up in the summer) And we've had a drought the last decade up north so the lakes are lower than usual.

The one place I'd like to dive:
http://www.montezumawell.com/pages/1/index.htm

It's near Camp Verde. But it's a National Park so I don't think you can dive there w/o some special arrangements. Looked deep enough though. And it would be rough getting down to it, the pictures don't show how far down it really is. You'd have to rappel down with your gear.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I really did not think there was anything, but you never know until you ask. As for Montezuma's Well, actually the hike down isn't so bad, it would be the hike back up that would kill you, but it was be far easier then Shaws Cove in Laguna Beach, CA. You're right I doubt they would let you dive it, they are very protective of the ruins.

Seeing as you are a photographer too any suggestions on day trips for photo ops, I was all over the place last year with my camera, must have taken 35 shots of Bell Rock trying to get just the right one (some day I need to go digital). Did get some nice wall shots at V Bar V though. The topography is amazing there, I was quite lucky did not rain a drop until the day I left. I am hoping to catch some fall color this trip.

Thanks,

Linda

LindaBluedolphin:
Seeing as you are a photographer too any suggestions on day trips for photo ops... I am hoping to catch some fall color this trip.
Hi,

You've driven through Oak Creek north of Sedona right? When the trees turn in the fall it's spectacular. You might be just a little early though to see it.

Other places close by would be Schnebly Hill Rd, there's a viewpoint up there of Sedona and the Verde Valley that's amazing. It's a 4x4 road only though, some of the jeep tours in Sedona go there. http://www.desertusa.com/mag02/aug/sed1.html

My buddy and I once put our tripods in the water at the bottom of Slide Rock(at 6am before the tourists show up) and shot all the way up the falls. With longer lens compression, you get a shot of 7 waterfalls cascading down the cliff with overhanging branches and all the natural vegetation. Only problem is that you have to Photoshop out the overhead power lines and one of the breaks is a little too clean.(it's actually the edge of a footpath). But it's a great shot, I had it on the wall of my office and people always asked about it.

If you want spectacular panoramic type shots, drive up to Jerome. It's a little ex-mining now artists community perched on top of a mountain with some great vistas back down towards Sedona and the Rim. Not much in the way of vegetation though. Short trip from Sedona up and back.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I wasn't home last week.

Steve

sjspeck:
Hi,

You've driven through Oak Creek north of Sedona right? When the trees turn in the fall it's spectacular. You might be just a little early though to see it.

Other places close by would be Schnebly Hill Rd, there's a viewpoint up there of Sedona and the Verde Valley that's amazing. It's a 4x4 road only though, some of the jeep tours in Sedona go there. http://www.desertusa.com/mag02/aug/sed1.html

My buddy and I once put our tripods in the water at the bottom of Slide Rock(at 6am before the tourists show up) and shot all the way up the falls. With longer lens compression, you get a shot of 7 waterfalls cascading down the cliff with overhanging branches and all the natural vegetation. Only problem is that you have to Photoshop out the overhead power lines and one of the breaks is a little too clean.(it's actually the edge of a footpath). But it's a great shot, I had it on the wall of my office and people always asked about it.

If you want spectacular panoramic type shots, drive up to Jerome. It's a little ex-mining now artists community perched on top of a mountain with some great vistas back down towards Sedona and the Rim. Not much in the way of vegetation though. Short trip from Sedona up and back.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I wasn't home last week.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the tips.....it really is pretty up there.

Linda

What about Goldwater Lake up the hill from Prescott? It is a little on the small side but was diveable the last time I was there in....umm...1985.

sjspeck:
...The one place I'd like to dive:
http://www.montezumawell.com/pages/1/index.htm

It's near Camp Verde. But it's a National Park so I don't think you can dive there w/o some special arrangements. Looked deep enough though. And it would be rough getting down to it, the pictures don't show how far down it really is. You'd have to rappel down with your gear.

Steve

I think it's only about 20' deep. You can actually hike to the surface of the water on a fairly stable path. I think I also remember reading about archeological finds in there (not surprising). I looked up a bunch of information on Montezuma a while back when I was researching places to dive. Do you think we could sneak in at night?!??!?

DA Aquamaster:
What about Goldwater Lake up the hill from Prescott? It is a little on the small side but was diveable the last time I was there in....umm...1985.

I don't think there's any good diving in Prescott now. I've been to a few of the puddles...I mean lakes...and the viz didn't look that great. I also stopped in the LDS there and spoke with a kayaker (the main part of their business). They don't do checkout dives locally. The public safety folks train there, but that's about it.

Thanks all for the information, guess my camera and tripod will be all I am taking (no I have not gone digital yet).

Happy Diving all!

Linda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom