How do I go about..(a rant)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer-maiden

Registered
Reaction score
making a formal complaint to a dive park? Last week my boyfriend and I(both of us are just certified open water divers) took our first dive vacation. En route to our destination we stopped at a place that was highly recommended by our lds as one of the most beautiful springs in Florida and an all around great place for diving. Long story short as soon as we get all our (mostly rented from them$$$)gear on and get in the water God decides to open the floodgates and the thunder and lightening are enough to scare me right outta the water. So we decide to wait out the storm and continue our dive when I felt more comfortable. Unfortunatly the pavilion that we decided to ride it out under was also inhabited by a bunch of college kids that were there tubing. The storm was a pretty bad one so everyone was getting impatient. Next thing we know the college kids have decided to start smoking pot. The smell made me naseous and my boyfriend uncomfortable as he's in the military and can get tested at anytime. The smoke got so bad that we had to pack up and call it a day. The people in the shop were very rude when we complained. I understand that they couldnt give us our money back due to weather but I dont think it was fair that we had to leave because of the smoking going on. Am I wrong to be upset about this? Being a brand new diver I'm not really sure of how to go about this or if this is something even worth complaining about. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

mer-maiden:
making a formal complaint to a dive park? Last week my boyfriend and I(both of us are just certified open water divers) took our first dive vacation. En route to our destination we stopped at a place that was highly recommended by our lds as one of the most beautiful springs in Florida and an all around great place for diving. Long story short as soon as we get all our (mostly rented from them$$$)gear on and get in the water God decides to open the floodgates and the thunder and lightening are enough to scare me right outta the water. So we decide to wait out the storm and continue our dive when I felt more comfortable. Unfortunatly the pavilion that we decided to ride it out under was also inhabited by a bunch of college kids that were there tubing. The storm was a pretty bad one so everyone was getting impatient. Next thing we know the college kids have decided to start smoking pot. The smell made me naseous and my boyfriend uncomfortable as he's in the military and can get tested at anytime. The smoke got so bad that we had to pack up and call it a day. The people in the shop were very rude when we complained. I understand that they couldnt give us our money back due to weather but I dont think it was fair that we had to leave because of the smoking going on. Am I wrong to be upset about this? Being a brand new diver I'm not really sure of how to go about this or if this is something even worth complaining about. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

I don't know how you'd go about it, but I firmly believe you've got the right attitude.

I don't think the LDS ought to give you your money back, you rented the gear, you didn't pay for a dive, but that's not really your issue is it?

For pot-heads at the park, you may have a hard time getting LE to do anything, but that's who you want to talk to. Either park rangers, or the local sherriff.

The gear was all rented from the park. The only involvement from the lds was the recommendation. All in all we spent about 300$ at the park that day and I feel as though an apology was at least in order. It was $27 a piece in entry fees, my gear rental was $60 and my boyfriend picked up some guages and various other bits and pieces totalling about 150. We were so frustrated by the time we left that we swore to never go back. The manager at the park told us she was sorry but there was nothing they could do about it.

I would let the park rangers know what is going on, although I can't imagine them NOT knowing. That scent is pretty unmistakable. Other than that, I'm afraid there's not much else you can do. I totally understand your frustration, though.

At this point there's little that you can do other than remember the experience you two had. At the time you returned your gear and finding little empathy for your experience (or lack thereof), you could have mentioned that you'll be reporting back to your local area divers and inform them of the conditions (outside the water) and what the park did (or didn't do) about it. Some local business rely upon word of mouth and if they get a bad reputation going around, it won't help them.

Other than that, you can just take your business elsewhere. It's not about revenge, it's about being treated fairly.

I would write a very formal letter to the owner of the shop explaining exactly what happened and ask for a reply as to what he plans to do in the future to prevent further instances like you experienced. If that doesn’t get his attention, send the letter to the local newspaper and post it on all the scuba websites – with the name of the dive operation and park.

The people living around the park deserve to know that pot smokers are driving tourists away and other divers deserve to know what operators to stay away from.

The price and the fact that there's a dive shop on site makes it sound like a Blue Springs or Devil's Den kind of place. Those places are privately owned and management could indeed do something. They have every right to throw out those breaking laws or facility rules. Even Ginnie who doesn't own the spring does I believe own the land they do business on.

Some of the current drug tests are sensitive enough to pick up THC two days after you walked through a room with someone smoking, so laughing it off is not an option for many of us. What I find pretentious are people that don’t care enough or respect others enough to realize we could loss our security clearances or pilot’s license because you want to have your fun. Skiing, scuba diving, and skydiving are just a few of the sports that people die at when they “dabble” and take unnecessary risks – like being even mildly stoned with some THC in their system.

fairybasslet:
Where did Shrew say he smoked weed while he dived? Cigarette smoke would have bothered me more, but then again, that's perfectly legal.
He didn’t say he smoked pot and dove, but he didn’t see a problem with being in a pavilion with pot smokers and then diving. As a Ski Patrolman, I’ve hauled plenty of busted up skiers to the clinic where they tested positive for enough THC to effect their judgment yet they all claimed they hadn’t smoked, but had been hanging out in a lodge or shelter with people who were smoking.

Whoa. I can handle the criticism but I will have you know that at no point were we arrogant nor demanding. I'm sorry if you honestly believe that no one can get ill from the smell. I am not looking for any money back and we have chalked it up to bad luck but I will not be made to look like a whiny arrogant snot. I believe we have a valid complaint and the place should be made aware of what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom