Is a Dual Bladder wing DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasona111

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,
As I mentioned elsewhere in this group I'm thinking of doing DIR-F in the us on my next visit (probably around/just after christmas), but as we have no DIR instructors in NZ (or if there are, they're not listed on the GUE website) I'm not likely to go much further with DIR training, and will probably end up doing tech training with TDI or DSAT, I've noticed that DSAT requires a Dual bladder wing for their equipment configuration, but looking at GUE this seems to be non-dir... is this the case??

or to put it another way, will I need to get 2 wings, 1 for the DIR-F course and 1 for DSAT (or other) tech training?

jasona111:
Hey guys,
As I mentioned elsewhere in this group I'm thinking of doing DIR-F in the us on my next visit (probably around/just after christmas), but as we have no DIR instructors in NZ (or if there are, they're not listed on the GUE website) I'm not likely to go much further with DIR training, and will probably end up doing tech training with TDI or DSAT, I've noticed that DSAT requires a Dual bladder wing for their equipment configuration, but looking at GUE this seems to be non-dir... is this the case??

or to put it another way, will I need to get 2 wings, 1 for the DIR-F course and 1 for DSAT (or other) tech training?

Jason,
http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/index.asp. You're probably better off talking face to face with the folks at Inner Realm on equipment selection and training. You can easily spend days on why each piece of equipment is selected. Oh yeah, be prepared to spend a small fortune. You're now officially forewarned. Once you start drinking the koolaid, few find it hard to stop.

Hope that helps.
Sincerely,
Harry

Paul at Inner Realm in Auckland is the local GUE man, although he is not (as far as I know) a GUE instructor. He does organise GUE training on occasion though I think. http://www.innerrealm.co.nz/
I would recommend going with the single bladder wing. If you decide to continue your training with DSAT, TDI or some other training agency, a drysuit should suffice as the second means of buoyancy control. There are a number of TDI instructors in New Zealand. You could talk to one of them and ask them for a recommendation.

Where abouts are you in New Zealand? If you are in or near Auckland I am always keen for more dive buddies.

HarryH97:
..........Once you start drinking the koolaid, few find it hard to stop.

Apart from the IMO inappropriate reference to a suicide cult, I think you actually meant to say that "few find it easy to stop" ?? At least that is the only way I could make sense of that part of you reply

Thanks Guys, but I'd rather poke my eyes out with a sharp dive knife than buy dive gear in New Zealand... I can save 40-70% buy buying overseas....

for example an apeks atx50 is around $800us (depending on exchange rate on the day), so I think my shopping and training will be in the US (I'd bet DIR training would be over priced here too)

And Xman, I'm in CHCH... although I'll probably be visiting AKL sometime(s) this year.

Xman:
Apart from the IMO inappropriate reference to a suicide cult, I think you actually meant to say that "few find it easy to stop" ?? At least that is the only way I could make sense of that part of you reply

I never knew blokes down under were so sensitive. Koolaid is so over used and trite that it's pretty much a term of endearment for us locals here....

Now I've never posted three times before, that's a first.

G'Day...

Harry

So I'll be getting a non-redundant wing for DIR training then.

Thanks for the help :)

jasona111:
So I'll be getting a non-redundant wing for DIR training then.

Thanks for the help :)

Yeah, good choice. Being in Christchurch (until recently I was in Kaikoura) you will probably need a drysuit to do any deco diving anyway because of the water temp. I would definately go single rather than double bladder.
Whilst I appreciate the frustration at prices of gear in New Zealand, remember you still need your LDS for fills, servicing etc... If you don't support them, they won't be there forever.
Get in touch when you're next coming to Auckland and we'll go for a dive.

Xavier

I always find the support your LDS comments funny, as they dont support me with reasonable pricing, why should I support them?? I do still support my LDS where I can reasonably do so, and they always get a chance to make me a deal...

I did my OW in Kaikoura, lovely warm water around that area :wink:

Actually Drysuit is probably my next purchase, DIR compliant of course :) but most likely not DUI as here they're around $4000us for a stock CLx450.... Thinking about either a whites Aqua Pro SE or Otter Britannic. Both these seem to be DIR compliant

Watch out for the pockets on the Otter Britannic - they are zipped and in the wrong place. I have the Britannic myself and made the mistakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom