What wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After making about 37 dives on a recent trip (just got back yesterday), I was fully and completely convinced that, 1) My current BC, a SeaQuest Pro QD+, is way too bulky, 2) it's too small for me, and 3) it's too bulky for my packing. And besides, now I have a real reason to get a bp/w. (*gasp!* he said the words, bp/w, *gasp*)

So, which wing should I get. I tend to wriggle around in wrecks a lot, so I think I'd do better with a wing that has an outer shell to protect it. I think I'll get either a FredT or Koplin 'long' backplate since I have a pretty long torso, and I don't like the waist strap being over my ribs, which is how my current BC is.

One goal is to have a light and small rig which implies aluminum plate, but then again I'd rather have all my weight, or at least most of it, in something other than a weight belt, which implies SS plate. I dive everything from steel 85s in freshwater (rarely) to 80s in saltwater (most of the time). I always rent tanks so I could use 80s in freshwater to avoid the overweighting with the SS plate.

I have already looked at the Scuba Diving Magazine's article about bp/w setups (grossest article I've ever read in there....most systems listed aren't even acutally true bp/ws. There goes my subscription..)

So what is your suggestions? I'm open to anything, and lower price and higher quality is best.

(If you're in the market for a very well cared for Pro QD+ 25th Anniversary BC with about 100 dives on it...........)

thanks!

I'm very happy with my DSS rog. I bought the complete single rig (hogarthian) as a unit and got a good package price. I really like how the plate is low profile (flatter than others I've seen).

Ray

if you're interested, here's a list of BP and Wing manufacturers I've found with their specs (which change frequently - so keep that in mind) http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scubaboard/bpwing.html

Also I'd recommend asking Tobin ( from http://deepseasupply.com/ ) or FredT about sizing before getting a long plate - Reason being that the standard plate size is very versatile (I've heard of folks from 5' - 6'4" using it without problem) the waist belt is actually kept off of the rib cage by the crotch strap - it keeps it down off of your diaphram.

Also are you looking at doubles or Single tank diving?

Have fun!

Aloha, Tim

It's good to see someone else noticed how incredibly inadaquate the article was in the mag.

They seemed to have missed the equipment that is most often used and I got the distinct impression that it was an advertising slot not really objective reporting.

From your description would call for an oxycheq wing. I purchased one and have been really happy with it.

Good luck on your hunt.

Scubadiving mag usually only reviews equipment that is sent free to them by the makers. Since many of users of BP/wings don't bother to read the crap they write, I doubt that many of the really good wing makers would bother sending one in. (if they were even invited to).

Also recommend checking out Oxycheq. Really well designed and made. My buddies are on Diverites which seem good too, but they like the Oxycheq inflater hoses better.

teknitroxdiver:
So, which wing should I get. I tend to wriggle around in wrecks a lot, so I think I'd do better with a wing that has an outer shell to protect it. I think I'll get either a FredT or Koplin 'long' backplate since I have a pretty long torso, and I don't like the waist strap being over my ribs, which is how my current BC is.

One goal is to have a light and small rig which implies aluminum plate, but then again I'd rather have all my weight, or at least most of it, in something other than a weight belt, which implies SS plate. I dive everything from steel 85s in freshwater (rarely) to 80s in saltwater (most of the time). I always rent tanks so I could use 80s in freshwater to avoid the overweighting with the SS plate.

So what is your suggestions? I'm open to anything, and lower price and higher quality is best.

First off ... backplate. If you're thinking about a long, I second the recommendation of someone else who said contact either Tobin (Deep Sea Supply) or Fred (FredT) directly to discuss sizing. Fred has a well-written sizing paper that will tell you how to measure your torso to assure the correct size backplate. I'm not sure Tobin has anything written down, but he can certainly assist you in selecting an appropriate size plate.

Not coincidentally, these two make the highest-quality plates I've seen anywhere. They are on almost opposite ends of the spectrum, however, when it comes to bend angle and channel depth. Fred's plate has the most bend and deepest channel of any plate I've tried. Tobin's has the least bend and shallowest channel. Which you choose will depend on the tradeoff you want to make between a plate that will make your cylinder hug your body (DSS) vs. one that will reduce the risk of banging your head into your first stage (FredT). Your choice.

You mentioned using different cylinders and not liking weight on a belt ... this might be a factor in favor of a DSS plate. Tobin's plate weights screw right into (and effectively become part of) the backplate. It's a sweet system, and you can order either 5# or 8# weight sets. I don't know of another plate manufacturer that offers anything like it.

Wings ... the DSS 30# wing is sturdy and will serve you will for wreck diving. So will the Oxycheq 30# Signature series wing. The former is a horseshoe-shaped wing with a center-mounted inflator/dump (used exactly as you use a doubles wing), and the latter is a donut-shaped wing with the more standard singles configuration of putting the inflator/dump on the left side of the wing. I've used both, and am very happy with how they both perform.

Someone mentioend Dive Rite wings ... well made products, but I'm not nuts about how they perform compared to the two I already mentioned. I've owned two Dive Rite wings (Venture and Rec Wing) and replaced them both after trying the Oxycheq wings.

Finally, customer service ... Tobin's record of being available/returning phone calls, and responding to product queries/issues is way better than Patrick's ... since Oxycheq moved to Florida, Patrick just doesn't seem to be as accessible as he used to be. In the past few weeks I've called on both a wing issue and an O2 analyzer issue, and haven't been able to get ahold of him ... and he hasn't returned my messages. I love Oxycheq products ... and own a lot of his gear ... but in all honesty, the customer service leaves something to be desired.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm really happy with my Oxycheq Sig Series 45# wing.

I just checked out your site kidspot, very nice. I noticed on the oxycheq 45# sig series that for drain holes you had question marks. The 45# Sig Series wing does have dual grommet drains at the bottom of the donut. I thought you might want to know so you can update the list.

Matt

I'd vote for whatever Bob says. I have the Signature wing and love it. I have to admit that I am very curious to try Tobin's wing on one of the days that Bob will let me. I would also agree with what Bob has to say about the two BP's. Both are sweet. I have a Koplin 10# plate which I like, but will go with either one of Fred's or Tobin's when I go to a lighter plate for doubles.

With either system I personally don't think you will go wrong and will be very happy to as well. :D

The DSS single-tank rig looks quite nice. However the website is a bit unclear as to how the wing attaches to the backplate. Is it just sandwiched between the tank and the plate?

Also on the DSS rig, it says no STA is required. Does the wing have Pioneer-like rods, or what?

Will an Oxycheq or H plate pad fit on the DSS plate?

thanks again!

I recently purchased an OxyCheq rig. For me, the decision came down to OxyCheq or DSS and I went with OxyCheq because I can get it locally. My LDS is very good about providing equipment to use while mine is on order or if worse comes to worse, out for repair. If I could have gotten a DSS rig locally, I would have chosen it, hands down.

I purchased a standard SS bp with a 45 lb signature wing, a standard sta and a hogarthian harness. I'm actually still waiting for the wing to arrive, but I've dived with 30 lb and 45 lb standard wings and a 30 lb signature wing so I know what to expect. I think the OxyCheq wings are well made and they are very stable in the water, so I would have no problem recommending one.

I like the shape of the Koplin bp and sta, but I'm disappointed with the finish. There are quite a few sharp edges (sharp enough to cut) so the deburring was not adequate. I think it's unacceptable for a customer to have to finish manufacturing a product. I haven't held a DSS or FredT bp in my hands, but from what I've heard, you will not be disappointed if you get either one.

FYI, I ordered a set of thumbwheels from DSS to replace the wing nuts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom