DPV & Marine Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gballard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We have been using DPV's and have had an experience that raised an interesting question. Does a DPV Attract Marine Life?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

what exactly do you mean? Tell us more about your story please.

We have dove the same dive site about 50 times, never have we been chased around by a sealion. The first time we used the d.p.v. to cruize around, a sealion was going crazy, darting past us in every direction. after a few times we would start chasing him.He was swimming right up to your face and the darted around,As soon as we came to the surface, so did he, he just hung out with us for a while and then swam off. Was it the the scooter that got him all excited?

were you in a black wetsuit? did you have flippers? were you moving smoothly and quietly through the water at a faster pace than you normally would? You might have been doing a mating dance and not have known it. Sounds like you looked a lot more like a sealion than a DPV free diver, maybe he thought he had a hot date

sounds like you've been in other end of the mating ritual before.

gballard:
sounds like you've been in other end of the mating ritual before.
Yep, if you mean being out on the town seeing a pretty lady, Nope if you mean that i've seen a sealion that looked good while on a dive.:crafty:

I feel positive they attract turtles. I know a few guys in Florida that swear they attract sharks. Maybe it's the electrical field, maybe the high pitched whine of the prop/motor. I use a SS scooter.

Dennis

JustinW:
Yep, if you mean being out on the town seeing a pretty lady, Nope if you mean that i've seen a sealion that looked good while on a dive.:crafty:

Good for you Justin.

Pez de Diablo:
I feel positive they attract turtles. I know a few guys in Florida that swear they attract sharks. Maybe it's the electrical field, maybe the high pitched whine of the prop/motor. I use a SS scooter.

Dennis

I think I would side with your opinion, I've heard the same thing about sharks.

Back
Top Bottom