Fogless Masks??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubenray

Registered
Reaction score
Just returned from Akumal and had a lot of trouble with my 10 year old mask fogging up. Had 3 different types of defoggers, but it would only last a few minutes. Also had a lot of trouble with getting water in my mask. I bought this mask from a scuba store and it has worked great until now.

Are there any fogless snorkle masks? It also seems like the mask would seal great when I first start, but when I have to take it off to defog it starts to leak. Is it time to buy a new mask? I was constantly getting water running down my throat. I first thought it was my 3 year old Ocean Master snorkle, but now I am thinking water was getting in my mask. I then would inhale the water through my nose. My nose would then run (not drip) for an hour afterward.

We have a trip planned for Tahiti in November and do not want the same problems I had at Akumal.

Any suggestions are appreciated?

it might have been that your anti-fog was getting cleaned off the mask.. I've had trouble where I've over rinsed my mask after applying the ant-fog.. just do a light rinse. if you were getting water into your mask it would just compound the problem. Anti fog works best on a dry mask, applied before ever getting it wet. Maybe it's time for a new mask.. don't know of any "fogless" masks. If you get a new mask, be sure to clean it well with a non-abrasive cleaner to get the oils off or it will never d-fog.. everyone seems to use toothpaste, which does work well (seriously) and gives it that minty smell.
Akumal, I loved the snorkeling there.. and the lack of current. just didn't like swimming what seemed like and probably was about 1/2 mile off shore through and way out past the boat channel in order to get to even just 40 or so feet of water.

I use baby shampoo and water 50%/50% mixture in my mask and have no fogging problems. Just pore in, swish around, and dump. Let it dry over night. day of dive, light rinse wear.

Might be time for a new mask. I had an old mask about that vintage that used to never leak or fog, but it started fogging no matter what I did due to the wear and fine scratches acquired over the years. And the silicone didn't seem as flexible anymore making it tend to leak.

I have used the baby mix...tube stuff...drops....but find SPIT works just as good and better than most.

You might try taking a water bottle with cold water in it and cool down your face before you mask up. Some people get pretty hot suiting up and that heat is expelled from the face and head and helps to fog up the mask. Just spray or sprinkle the cold water on your face and see how it works next time.

rich

There are fogless masks. I bought one, retails for over 100 bucks. It sucked and didn't work.

combine all the above,
first clean your mask with toothpaste.
babyshampoo or a liquid base defogger lightly rinse.
(dont prefer that blue paste defog stuff,,yuck)
get a good seal all hair out. have your buddy check the seal.
(i finally shaved my mustache to get best seal)

2 typical mistakes with masks are:

1: over rinsing the defoger
2: over tight masks
mask should be comfortable and not leave a deep mark when removed.

I have to shave part of my mustache or I can't get a seal.

For defogging, I just use toothpaste. A $0.97 tube of Pepsodent.
NOTE: This is great for glass, may not be OK for a polymer lens, which you're not supposed to use abrasives on.

Before each drop I rinse the mask out, take a little toothpaste & rub the inside of the glass down. I then rinse it clear, put it on & dive. Cheap, easy & it works.

Here's just another option: When I was a kid freediving in Texas ponds, I realized that just about anything slimy would keep my lens fog free.
Snails. I'd find them in the weeds surrounding the lake. Just squish them and rub them around the inside of your mask. Works great.
Of course, snails aren't always available everywhere, but when they are, they're definately cheap.
As far as the commercial defoggers, I always found them to work best to let it dry on the lens first, Then just before the dive, a quick dunk in the water to make it clear.
IMO, snails work better though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom