Coolpix 7900 and Ikelite Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys!

Don't tell the Oly guys I am here...I just killed my Oly 5050 and with them not being available anymore it is likely that DEPP will let me replace it with a similar camera. On the Oly side it is the c7070. But recently, I saw the Coolpix 7900 with Ikelite Housing available for about 650:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...018&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...983&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
It has an underwater setting (for whatever that is worth) like the c7070 and it may force a higher f stop on telephoto than the 7070 (but I am not sure). The other thing that looks good is the Ikelite housing seems to have fewer knobs and buttons which makes me think the camera operation might be a bit easier than the Oly?

Any thoughts? (Thanks!)

I have a 7900 and have been using for a couple of months. I had to buy a Nikon housing from Japan as Ikelite didn't have one out yet.

Pros:
1.It's small and easy to clip off in a pocket or on a D-ring. Out of the housing it fits nicely into shirt pocket.

2. At 7 megs raw it yields excellent pictures that are good enough for a double page spread in a book or magazine.

3. It doesn't eat batteries. While I have an extra battery and change it out between dives, I can easily get a hundred raw images and leave it on for the whole dive of 60 - 90 minutes.

4. Using a 1 gig card is great. You can shoot all weekend without downloading it.

5. Seems to very durable. I've dropped it from waist height and it has worked just fine.

Cons:
1.One of the issues with the Nikon housing is that the flash diffuser is set behind the lens too far. This means that on really close macro shots you have vignetting on the lower left side of the picture. It needs to be modified, but thus far I've been too lazy. The modification doesn't seem to be very hard.

2. The focus can be off in macro. Perhaps it's my technique, but I find it to be hit or miss.

3. I find it slow to focus and then shoot. This is particularly agrivating at times to me. Once it has focused, though the recycle time on the flash is excellent.

4. While a slaved flash works well, it unbalances the camera and I developed hand fatigue by the end of the dive with my right hand which I use to shoot with. My left hand controls buoyancy and my can light.

Conclusion:
I like this little camera. Since I'm a professional photographer topside, I generally don't like to bring my work with me. This camera is not a bad little P&S, but frankly I think there are better out there. My friend Uncle Pug has a Fuji that I want to try out. He has been getting great shots with it. We will see if it's me or the camera.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I took a look at an independant review and I wasn't convinced the Nikon would offer anything the Oly c7070 doesn't offer as well (and since I already own a c5050...) Although I do prefer the look of the Ikelite housing over the Oly housing. I did look into the Fuji, but was turned off by the 6MP (at least last time I looked), the extra 1MP would be nice and give the ability to crop a bit more and still get a decent 8x10.

I'm not sure that I would worry about the extra meg to be honest with you. I have seen amazing results with a 5 meg camera that was shot in raw. The prints were cropped and then blown up to 20"x 24". Frankly they looked like they had been shot on film. For 8x10, 11x14 or 16x20 a 6 meg camera will do just fine.

As you may have seen in another thread I just bought a Nikon D2X for professional use above water. Last year I had three billboards done by clients so I needed to go with the 12.5 meg raw files. So I do believe that bigger is better. In this case though there are more important factors.

I think what you need to be more concerned with is how fast the camera focuses especially in macro. Battery life is another factor. I also like having a large screen to check my photos while underwater. Lastly the camera and housing shouldn't be too big.

Get in touch with Uncle Pug. I know he researched it and he went from I believe a 5050 to the Fuji F10. I'm impressed enough to want one.

Check out these links for the F10.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F10/F10DATA.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F10/F10A.HTM

OE2X:
I have a 7900 and have been using for a couple of months. I had to buy a Nikon housing from Japan as Ikelite didn't have one out yet.

3. I find it slow to focus and then shoot. This is particularly agrivating at times to me. Once it has focused, though the recycle time on the flash is excellent.

OE2X, did you compare the focus speed with any other PnS? Knowing that you use Nikon F5 prior, it will be hard to compare. No PnS will focus anywhere near the speed of SLR, even older relatively slow focus lenses like the 70-180mm macro still focus much faster than my old C5050, especially in low light situation.

Macro focus might be a bit off here and there. I found that with PnS, I always wanted to move in closer and often will exceed the minimum focusing distance. It is also hard to judge proper focus through LCD monitor as the resolution is not very good. One reason I eventually switched to SLR!

As far as adding slave strobe and hand fatigue goes, I found lots of bicep curls help!
Trying to hold my SLR setup with dual strobes one hand for more than a couple of minutes would be almost impossible 6 months ago, now with little exercise, my hand is a lot steadier :D

As to the focus speed I knew from past experience that a PnS would be very different from a pro model. Frankly my expectations still aren't very high for them. I do want try out Pug's F10 though. Looking over the specs it seems that it is much faster than my 7900.

You know prior to digital - I never looked at camera specs. The most I ever did was to test lenses for sharpness and color shift. While I still test for sharpness, with Photoshop the color shift is no problem. Bits, bytes, white balance, down load speed,program updates on and on. I've become a techno nerd. Boy do I feel old. Almost makes me want to pick one of my Leica range finders and shoot some black and white film. Does anyone develop that any more?:D

OE2X:
I'm not sure that I would worry about the extra meg to be honest with you. I have seen amazing results with a 5 meg camera that was shot in raw.

I have as well from the 5050. Anyway I will check out the Fuji, of course memory card type and price and availability of the housing will also come into play. But I will check :)

I didn't have an Oly 5050... it was a Pentax Optio S50 and apart from zipping through batteries when cold (underwater) and the glacially slow auto focus and with a lot of shutter lag I really liked the pictures I was able to take with it.

If you look in my gallery at the Red Irish Lord's you will see one picture where I have zoomed in to 100% and cropped to show the eyes in the eggs. I can zoom in even more and still get a great picture.

I replaced it with the Fuji F10 because of the battery life and focus issues. The F10 will last for several one hour + dives using the flash and LCD scrreen turned on. It is much faster to focus and once focused there is no noticable shutter lag. The LCD is very large and takes up most of the back of the camera... there is no optical viewfinder. The camera is truly PnS with minimal manual control so if you like to be the photographer instead of the picturesnapper then it would not be a good choice.

As for megapixels.... the Optio was only 5 megs and I'm not sure the 7 megs of the 7900 produce a better picture... and from the review and lab tests that I saw the 6 meg Fuji beat out the top four 7 meg PnS cameras.

I bought the Fuji f10 for $325 and the Fuji UW housing for $135 from 17th St Photo. A 1 gig xD memory card was <$100.

Uncle Pug:
As for megapixels.... the Optio was only 5 megs and I'm not sure the 7 megs of the 7900 produce a better picture... and from the review and lab tests that I saw the 6 meg Fuji beat out the top four 7 meg PnS cameras.

I bought the Fuji f10 for $325 and the Fuji UW housing for $135 from 17th St Photo. A 1 gig xD memory card was <$100.

The shutter lag is a very good feature of the Fuji for sure. I did some more research into the Nikon 7900 and I'm not convinced it offers me any advantages over any other camera. I do think the Oly c7070 has an edge over the Fuji as I already have the memory cards, I'm familiar with the Oly menus etc. It also offers A and S modes in addition to auto and M. *wanders away pondering* I'll think more when I get the cheque through, afterall there will be a newer generation by then!

I too was looking at the 7900. The price for the 7900 looks pretty good - $316 at Digital Photo.com, plus $195 for the housing. Thanks OE2X for the review. That's good to know about the flash diffuser not being quite right. It looks like there's a 7900 housing by Fantasea that's $50 cheaper than the Nikon housing, and one by Ikelite thats about $65 more. The Ikelite housing is rated to 200 feet, vs the 130' for the other two.

So OE2X what external strobe are you using?

I couldn't find any real specs on the shutter lag of the 7900. One review said it was "fast". It seemed pretty fast when I played with it at the camera shop - especially compared to my 6 year-old Nikon CoolPix 880 p&s, anyway.

I was looking at the 7900 only because I'm used to the Nikon OS in my CoolPix 880 (which I do NOT have a housing for). I'd have to change over from CF memory to SD memory though. Going from 3MP to 7MP would require me to get a bigger memory anyway, so that's not as much of an issue.

So we have a strong plug for the Fuji F10 as an alternative, and the Olympus c7070 is another option. In fact the c7070 has a 4x extra wide angle lens that the others don't have (although it is a bigger sized camera). Does anybody have any experience with the Canon PowerShot SD500?

Thanks,

Jerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom