Top line equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at all 9 pages on BC, I did not see any mention of Aqua Lung or Ocenaic. I understand these offer a life time warranty. Both of these companies have been around for 30 plus years. Any comments.

Dutchman:
Looking at all 9 pages on BC, I did not see any mention of Aqua Lung or Ocenaic. I understand these offer a life time warranty. Both of these companies have been around for 30 plus years. Any comments.

I have an Oceanic Aerdura drysuit. All my other gear is Genesis (minus my fins - Scubapro). Can't really comment on the Oceanic BC's as I don't have any experience with them or Aqualung. Scubapro and Genesis are both great BC's for the average joe diver.

Aqualung BC's are there, but they market SeaQuest as their primary BC's these days; so the number of Aqualung brand BC's aren't as many as they used to be.

Oceanic is often used as a second line in stores and as such, the 'primary' line gets pushed much harder by the salescritters.

There is nothing wrong with Aqualung or Oceanic BCs. They're just not as common as the other brands these days.

Tachyon

Spoon:
have you decided on jacket style or backplate? thats something to consider

I like the idea of the bp/w but what I have seen, there is no pockets to store things. Also like the intergrated weight pockets because I dislike the weight belt. So gess I am leaning towards the jacket.

Dutchman:
I like the idea of the bp/w but what I have seen, there is no pockets to store things. Also like the intergrated weight pockets because I dislike the weight belt. So gess I am leaning towards the jacket.

Check the Genesis Recon out. It's got the best of both worlds. It may not have alot of pocket space, but there is a small one built into the cummerbund. It also has weight integration, and there is a backplate kit available if you want to run twins. I'll be upgrading to this BC eventually. I currently use a Genesis Cobra.

• Back Inflation
• 40 lbs. weight integrated
2 releasing 15lb. pockets
2 non-releasing 5lb. pockets
• 1050 denier ballistic nylon construction
• Adjustable "bolt-on" cummerbund
• Thermo-form, adjustable "bolt-on" shoulders
• Adjustable, removable sternum strap
• Dual cam-lock tank straps
• 8 welded stainless steel D-rings
• Aircell retracting cords
• Exclusive Genesis MiniPac™ for cylinder mounting
• Easily replaceable internal bladder
• Adjustable tank locator strap
• Rapid exhaust dump valve
• Rear pull dump
• 2 clips for AKONA® QuickClip™ system
• Unique fold-out pocket

ACCESSORIES:
• AKONA BCD Pro Kit (PRO-KIT)
• Cummerbund Extender Kit (JM-EXT)
• Adjustable Crotch Strap (C-STRAP)
• 75# Air Cell (R75C-CELL)
• AKONA QuickClip System

Dutchman:
One of the ways to get weight off of your belt is to use a heavier BP. I use a total of 24 lbs of which 16 are part of my BP. It is far more effective this way. If you need pockets that what a drysuit can do for you or put pockets on a wetsuit.

The Recon looks pretty nice except for the fact the D-rings will be ineffective when you try to clip into them. They will lay flat if you bring a bolt snap down on them and they will flip up if you try to clip from underneath.

The idea behind a one piece harness - related to D-rings is that they don't move up or down. Thus making it very easy to clip and unclip blindly with one hand. If you start using gear like deco bottles or a camera or light head where you need to clip and unclip during the dive you will quickly come to conclusion that floppy D-rings are a PITA.

Dutchman:

Pockets can be added...........
Weight system pockets can be added too...........

These features can be added (with some extra bucks). In fact there is more flexibilities in adding accessories and pockets.

As for BC jacket, if you are interested in Aqualung, simply look at SeaQuest. As per said, SeaQuest is the brand Aqualung mainly market their bcd under. I have a SeaQuest ProQD+. It is a great bc jacket with integrated weight system. The only thing I would complain about it is it is a bit bulky. I guess it's because I am prefer diving in my BP+Wing setup. But since I am doing my DM, I use my ProQD+ for confine water assistances....................less confusing for the students.

Dutchman:

If you haven't already, you should check out the Zeagle product lines. They have all of the features you mentioned and I think the warranty is also lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom