Cay Sal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi ,

I'm going on my first dive trip. I'm sailing from Miami to Cay Sal.

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions regarding wetsuit thickness, gloves - are they needed?

Also, I found a blurb about the area and sounds like their is a lot of sharks. How should you respond if you see a shark?

Thanks all!

Wetsuit optional,I use a diveskin only for protection from stings from suspended jellies,sea lice etc....Be sure to check in with Bahamian customs prior to heading down to the Cay
Sal Bank.If you see a shark ,consider yourself lucky.Take a picture.Is this private boat or charter?

Hi Grasshopper,

1. How to respond if you see a shark (and you almost certainly will see several). The below is from my "Ask RSD" column in the Mar '00 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Do need to worry about sharks while diving?"

While statistics are not fully reliable and vary substantially across time, over the years 1990 through 1997 an average of about 9 unprovoked attacks per year on divers were reported worldwide. Slightly less than 20% proved fatal. In other words, out of the millions of dives done worldwide in each of the last 8 years, on average less than 2 divers per year died as a result of unprovoked shark attack. Death by lightening or a vending machine falling on you is far more probable. Furthermore, these attacks were much more likely to occur in some areas than others. The most numerous attacks on divers occur in the continental US, Australia and Africa (2/3rds in the Republic of South Africa), respectively. Within the US, Florida and California account equally for the majority; Hawaii has less than 1/4 the total of these two states.

Sharks, about which much remains unknown, are among the ocean's most fascinating and maligned creatures. Around for hundreds of millions years, they have changed little in the past tens of millions. The approximately 370 living species range in size from the 6" carnivorous juvenile Dwarf Sharks to the 45’+ plankton eating mature Whale Shark.

Sharks are fearsome predators due to marvelously acute sensory systems, including the ability to sense infinitesimally weak electrical fields, very low frequency sounds such those generated by escaping and struggling prey, and a sense of smell which can detect a single drop of blood in one million drops of water. While vision tends not to be nearly as well developed, some sharks have excellent sensitivity to contrast and motion, and low light acuity.

The majority of sharks pose no threat to man; only about 42 species have been implicated in attacks worldwide. Great Whites account for the majority, and these are often believed to be cases food confusion; humans are not at the top of the menu with high fat animals like seal and sea lion. Next in order are the Tiger and Bull, who some feel aggress just because the diver is in proximity.

Most shark attacks occur from below or behind and are unseen by the diver, although prior to an attack is it not uncommon for them to make increasingly closer passes, or even bump you. Sharks within the line of vision also may signal they are disturbed. This commonly takes the form of an S-shaped posture, with arching of the back, lowering of the pectoral fins, & movement of the tail to one side, and sometimes shaking of the head from side to side--you'll recognize it. If you observe this, return to the boat if possible; if not, slowly sink to the bottom or back up against a reef or wall, and remain motionless. If a shark approaches you very closely, purge your second stage in front of it, then hum deeply or yell into it. If you have no other recourse, such as when a shark starts bumping you, bang it on the snout or gills, but if possible do this only with a gloved hand or arm, or inanimate object. The skin of many sharks is quite rough and could easily draw blood from an unprotected body part. A number of protective measures have been experimented with, including certain chemicals and electrical shields, but none has proved infallible.

You can reduce the already tiny odds of attack by: (1) not diving near fishing, and especially spearfishing; (2) diving in groups; (3) avoiding deep channels and shallow water which rapidly becomes deep; (4) not diving at dusk, dawn or after dark; (5) avoiding shiny jewelry and exposure suits with contrasting colors; (6) avoiding murky water; (7) not harassing a shark; and (8) quickly returning to the boat when a shark becomes overly inquisitive or postures.

A diver following the above suggestions has no reason for fear.

DocVikingo"

In short, you should respond by quietly observing these magnificent creatures.

2. Wetsuit recommendations. The below is a piece, in part, from my Jun '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, this time of year expect CSB water temps of 81 plus/minus a degree. If personally was doing multiple dives a day over multiple days at the water temps, I'd take my 3 mm full. Take a beanie or hooded vest & lightly insulated gloves in case you get cold.

DocVikingo"

You're going to have such a good time.

DocVikingo

I think that Doc has given the most complete answer anyone could give, thanks for all your tips Doc.:approve: :approve: :wink:

Hi caymaniac,

You are too kind.

I am here but to humbly serve.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom