Atlantic Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voidware

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The rumors have infiltrated all the way up to North Carolina. I thought that lionfish only lived in the south pacific and Indian ocean (like sea snakes), but I have been told of sightings all the way up to NC. But what I've got to ask is has anyone ever seen one in the atlantic? and how did they get here? Please, tell me it is something other than they flushed a pet lionfish down the toilet and it made its way out to sea.

brandon

I have seen video of several lion fish off the NC coast. I was surprised and in absolute amazement, since I had never heard of such a thing. I have been told that they have been seen further north as well. I expect that they were dumped out of peoples aquariums. Since there are no natural preditors in the Atlantic, they have been proliferating very quickly.

I have read articles where there have been speculations that Lionfish fry or eggs may have been sucked up into cargo ships when taking on ballast then upon arriving they pump out the ballast in the Atlantic waters where they hatch. Now, I don't profess to know anything about those bohemeth ships, but I would venture to guess that that could very well happen. I have heard that fish indigenous to other parts of the world are showing up in small numbers in the Channel Islands area. So that theory can't be too far off.

The aquarium theory was the first to come to my mind when I heard Lion Fish have been spotted of the SE coast. This is how many exotic species of fish were introduced into the Southern Florida ecosystem. People grew tired of their aquaria, walked out back to the canal system and dumped the tank's contents into the canal.

The ballast water from ships could also be feasible. If I remember correctly, this is how the Zebra Muscle was introduced into the Great Lakes ecosystem.

Probobly the aquarium theory. Well, at least these are really beautifull fish, just be carefull around them- they are not afraid of anything, so you might bump into one in a night dive, accidentaly.

On three different locations off Jax and St Augustine.I was asked to spear them by the local aquarium shop when I told them about seeing them .

Originally posted by 100days-a-year
On three different locations off Jax and St Augustine.I was asked to spear them by the local aquarium shop when I told them about seeing them .

I certainly hope you told them where to stick their speargun!

Yes, the Lionfish have poisonous dorsal spines but so do Scorpionfish...and no one is calling for their demise!

Hopefully people will use a little common sense and leave them alone, just as you would any fish and creature. But then again... I have also wished for snow on Christmas in Houston Texas!

A friend from NYC of mine has seen then just off the Jersey coast. He said they've come visiting when the Gulf Stream swings north.

100days-a-year - I agree with Dee I hope you told them where to stick the spear gun! geesh

They're very pretty. They're poisonous. And they don't belong on the Eastern Seaboard. If you want to see one, take a trip to SE Asia or to your local aquarium store.

Each one that lives does so by displacing something native; that's the problem with invasive species. Those that are so inclined should be encouraged to kill as many of the little buggers as possible. We probably can't make them go away, but maybe we can slow their advance.

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom