Activities while diving DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
After spending the winter reading up on DIR and various methods as well as currently diving with wreck and spear fishing divers a question came to mind. Do DIR divers spear fish or bring tools for searching within wrecks? It seems that none of what I have read addresses this much. This came to mind last weekend as I was out with a good friend (who helps me quite alot). Just before he stood up to hit the water, he pulled a plastic garden rake from his box and clipped it on. I immediately thought "I can think of a few people who'd have something to say". So I laughed and said "what the hell is that for". He just smiled, propably thinking "the idiot has no idea what he's talking about". During the dive, I realized it was for digging. Does DIR support this?

If you need the tools to accomplish the goal of the dive, bring them...just bring them in a way that optimizes streamlining and minimizes the effect on your buoyancy.

If the goal of the dive is to bring up a porthole, then you might need a hammer and chisel, plus an extra lift bag. If the goal is to catch a lobster dinner, you'll need a catch bag and maybe a tickle stick. Keep in mind that the goals of the dive should never compromise your focus on the team. Also, keep in mind that you can divy up tasks amongst the team, so when I go lobstering, one of us brings the bag and the other brings the tickle stick.

Soggy:
If you need the tools to accomplish the goal of the dive, bring them...just bring them in a way that optimizes streamlining and minimizes the effect on your buoyancy.

If the goal of the dive is to bring up a porthole, then you might need a hammer and chisel, plus an extra lift bag. If the goal is to catch a lobster dinner, you'll need a catch bag and maybe a tickle stick. Keep in mind that the goals of the dive should never compromise your focus on the team. Also, keep in mind that you can divy up tasks amongst the team, so when I go lobstering, one of us brings the bag and the other brings the tickle stick.

...And then the two fight over who caught which lobster. Assuming the buddy with the bag doesn't cut the other's hoses after a particularly good catch in the first place :D

notabob:
...And then the two fight over who caught which lobster. Assuming the buddy with the bag doesn't cut the other's hoses after a particularly good catch in the first place :D

Actually one holds the bag, the second tickles the lobster, the third grabs the lobster and bags it. The lobster are evenly divided at dinner; 1 claw for two, the tail for the third.

:lol:

Yes.

do it easy:
What happens when your buddy signals out of lobster at the dinner table? Do you donate the lobster in your mouth and then switch to your backup bug?

you guys are way too funny

And your buddy's lobster is your backup lobster.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom