Needs of a large diver...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilbkr1

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am starting to get back into diving and need to buy new equipment. My first problem to over come is my size. I am a large individual with broad shoulders and wide chest. Any suggestions on manufacturers that make BCD for large people?

Sherwood Outback has "panels" that can be added to waist and shoulders. My medium fits me well at 6' and 190 lbs. With the panels added, it is too big for my son at 6' 3" and 245. One option.

Yes, halcyon. one size fits all. Even you!

Go to your local dive shop and start trying them on. I know that Seasoft make an unusual BC called the SeaHorse. One size seems to fit all. My wife weighs 95 pounds and she sold it to a woman that weighs around 250 or so. Fit both perfectly.

Hello,

Can anyone provide a link to detailed information on the Sherwood Outback? All I can find is the basic information on the BC. Thanks for all the help.

wilbkr1:
Hello,

I am starting to get back into diving and need to buy new equipment. My first problem to over come is my size. I am a large individual with broad shoulders and wide chest. Any suggestions on manufacturers that make BCD for large people?

Yes, I bought my first BCD from my LDS and they fitted me with a medium cumerbund and a large shoulder straps on a Zeagle Tech - you won't get that with a mailorder place usually. The Zeagle is a back inflate style and I think you will probably be easier to fit with that configuration. Now after having said that, I now use a backplate and wing and like it much better - can't "grow" out of that one either.

Jason

I'd recommend a Zeagle BC. They just made a custom section to fit me (58" waist, 56" chest, long torso) for a Brigade that's waiting for me at ScubaToys.

Other alternatives are a tank pack with horsecollar BC mounted around the tank, otherwise called a BP/W. :11ztongue (If you're curious, my biggest objection to BP/W isn't the philosophical Rec vs. Tech debate, but that parts equivalent to a tank pack and horsecollar BC cost several times as much when labeled as a BP/W, especially from the 'boutique' manufacturers. And yes, a tank pack and horsecollar BC are both still available as new items.)

There are several commercial BC's that are rather large, for instance, you would probably be able to wear a XXL ScubaPro KnightHawk or XL SeaQuest Black Diamond without much trouble. I have an old XL SeaQuest Spectrum 3 ADV that actually still fits me, but isn't weight integrated and is prone to squeeze (It's a jacket style BC.) I tried on both of the mentioned BC's recently and except for the waist, they fit me fine.

It really depends on how your LDS can help you out, and if they can't, I'd recommend the guys in Texas, who seem to be able to do anything for anyone.

Tachyon

jbb:
they fitted me with a medium cumerbund and a large shoulder straps on a Zeagle Tech - you won't get that with a mailorder place usually..

(I do note that you said "usually.) ScubaToys recently sent me a Zeagle with different-size cummerbund and shoulder section. I got the impression they do that quite often.

wilbkr1:
Hello,

Custom wetsuit from Xcel --- Seaquest Black Diamond ........ if you are a big guy this stuff will serve you well -- anything else is just not as robust if you are doing rec stuff.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom