Scooters & Free Diving...and Relaxation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PurpleRonald

Registered
Reaction score
I have my appointment set for a DAN physician to see if I can Scuba dive...but I've already decided to Free Dive...if Scuba is verboten... I can hold my breath a full minute and swim over 1 length of the pool(big YMCA pool ; ) on one breath...and have worked up to two lengths with some effort... I'm an old smoker...but I gave up the cigs about a year ago...but will have to still see if I'm 'okay' for Scuba... I have the fever to buy DIVING EQUIPMENT. I haven't been diving since the 1970's so I am very impressed with all the new stuff now available. I WANT THE SeaDoo SCOOTER. The inexpensive sticker price was a pleasant surprise. Anyone using it? I notice that snorkles seem to now all be a bit different... It's a little disappointing...because I just wanted a simple snorkle (not one with purge valves or other devices that are supposed to 'keep it dry'. I have an old snorkle - black with an orange tape at the top... and it seems fine...but I'm now looking for a neon yellow one to contrast my blue & black dive skin and my black silicon mask... My wife and I have matching outfits... I figure with a pair of Seadoo Scooters...we might blaze a a keen fashion trail...from the wake our long black Dive Rite Fins... My most pleasant/relaxing Scuba Dives were all in shallow waters of the reefs - or even in a few small freshwater springs. In fact, the only thing that really makes me want the Scuba ability now - is I know of a spot where I've found some neat artifacts and it would be nice to spend about an hour or so there at 25ft. and do some thoughtful exploring... One thing I remember - as a prominent rule : 1) Relax and Go as Slow as possible(a Scooter just ought to make me that much lazier... ) Some of my favorite moments were in long shallow dives ...and it's amazing what you 'see' when you take your time... Some of my worst dives...were in being matched up with a 'macho' diving buddy...who swims hard, doesn't pay attention to your hand signals...and goes off on tangents... At one point I remember Diving with a single 50cu. tank and spending just as much time as someone with an 80. The 50 was nice because it was that much more comfortable... Light Slow and Comfy...beats Heavy,Fast and Uncomfortable... I figure a little scooter might be a lot of fun...and add some range without adding more effort... However, there's that issue of 'scooter weight and buoyancy' ; )

PurpleRonald:
I WANT THE SeaDoo SCOOTER.
For scuba its a POS...for anything else...could be fun, but you might be able to swim faster than it.

JeffG:
For scuba its a POS...for anything else...could be fun, but you might be able to swim faster than it.

I know of a fellow who made a scooter back in 1975 about the size of the Seadoo that had a combustion engine(it was very quiet) that was fed air off an lp hose from the tank... It was faster than the SeaDoo...and faster then in its day than the electric Farrallon DPV...which was a true POS.(very heavy & a very short battery life) A few 100 yards of travel with no swimming required..ought to save a lot of air... I notice some DPV's being advertized for commercial diving...that seem to target 'fatigue' ie. getting the diver to and from a particular work site...with no swimming effort...or for some inspection work ie. just turn on the scooter and follow the pipeline... A slow steady effortless ride...for 500 yards...vs. frog kicking...might be nice...

if you get the sea-doo... get the 2spd turbo.. night and day difference from the yellow one. it's a blast while freediving.. a bit of a pain if you have to plug your nose to equalize on the way down but you can master running the throttle with your elbow of the arm you use to equalize with.

boomx5:
Here's a video we made at recently at an X-Scooter Demo day. It was the first time I've rode my scooter with out gear on, and I couldn't believe how much fun we had! I actually brought my son to give them a try since he's always druelling over mine out in the garage. :wink:

Enjoy,

http://video.mpegnation.com/a001964068246062205195316264.html

I gotta get one! Great !

Back
Top Bottom