Practicing NAS principles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
For those recent "almost grads" from NAS 1 last weekend (just the paperwork to do), and for anyone else that has the qualification.

Here's your opportunity to apply the knowledge you've gained. I'm involved in a project to map a pair of wrecks, the first mapping exercise is occuring this week (June 6-9). There is lots to do.

If you are interested in participating, drop me a line.

NAS = Nautical Archeological Society NAS

Some of the team had been diving the site for two days when the rest of the crew arrived on Saturday. By all first appearances we looked like a typical group of divers heading out for a charter diver. But then came out all the slates covered in u/w paper and the measuring tapes.

Like any diver, we kitted up, and got on board the four boats that had "volunteered" to take us out to the site. And then we got busy. But first a bit of background...

The site choosen to study was two wrecks that had gone down sometime in the 1900 (research is still ongoing as to when, for now the best guess is in the 1930s). Both vessels are unknown - one a steamer, one a barge. They sank so close together that the frames are intwined (hence the nickname given - Twisted Sisters).

The wrecks are in shallow water - 10-20 feet. The wrecks are both approximately 170ft in length. We're concentrating on the steamer as we feel that it will be easier to identify as there were many barges built of this type, and will be difficult to determine which it is.

The diving.
For the first dive, my buddy and I did a simple orientation of the sight - that was when we really appreciated the size of the wreck! After crusing around, taking pictures and taking note of how the wrecks were situated we returned to the dive boat and got our slate and measuring tape. Then off we went to collect data! With one buddy holding the zero-end of the tape, the other located the three other points selected by the project to be used as triangulation. We got only a couple of them done when it was time to head back to the dock for lunch. We changed tanks, had a briefing, and then headed back. Approximately forty-minutes later, my buddy and I were quite proud to finish the assigned data collection, and accomplish a sketch of the stern.

The next day we returned to the site, this time we were assigned to sketch & measure details for a 5meter section of the steamer. A break for lunch and a change of tanks (this time we stayed at the site) we were back in the water to further study "our" section.

What I learned. (1) Don't swim to close to the datum line, or you'll start pulling it with you as you swim (at last report everyone involved in the project had done this at least once) (2) you can get very focused on taking measurements and recording data that you forget basic diving safety measures (on the first dive my buddy and I did not check our air consumption (even once!) until we were 30 minutes into the dive -- subsequent dives we checked after each data collection (usually 3 points). (3)getting a clear dive briefing is important - a mixup caused one team to repeat the work of another. (4) Learning about history in this way is FUN!

There will be more visits to the site.... so the call for trained volunteers may go out again.

That sounds like so much fun!

Hey...I know where there's an old unidentified wreck if you and your NAS buds need some more practice. The debris field is extensive and it's in pretty shallow water.

Rumor has it that it's a '78 CrisCraft that Uncle Joe ran up on Rocky Point during an argument with Aunt Helen about whether he had been drinking too much beer. But since neither of them were sober enough at the time to remember the details, the insurance claim was ever settled! I also hear that Lone Star beer of that vintage would have quite a kick to it by now. You team would be able to keep and sample the booty!

:D

Originally posted by Dee
That sounds like so much fun!

Hey...I know where there's an old unidentified wreck if you and your NAS buds need some more practice. The debris field is extensive and it's in pretty shallow water.

Rumor has it that it's a '78 CrisCraft that Uncle Joe ran up on Rocky Point during an argument with Aunt Helen about whether he had been drinking too much beer. But since neither of them were sober enough at the time to remember the details, the insurance claim was ever settled! I also hear that Lone Star beer of that vintage would have quite a kick to it by now. You team would be able to keep and sample the booty!

:D

Too funny girl! But the team and I would be happy to do a search and "recovery" hehehe (... just as soon as you provide the transport of getting there! :D)

Originally posted by DivingGal

Too funny girl! But the team and I would be happy to do a search and "recovery" hehehe (... just as soon as you provide the transport of getting there! :D)

Great! I'll send Bubba to come pick you up. He has a brand new pick 'em up truck and needs a road trip to air it out!

Back
Top Bottom