Gear for Mini Lobster Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexRodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
As I gear up for my first lobster hunt later this month I need some help with what I should take or will need. A friend said I should be able to get a "lobster kit" that will have everything I will need including a bag and measuring stick.

Anything else I am going to need? Can anyone suggest an on line store where I can order this "kit"?

Alex

You need a gauge, they cost about a buck. You need a bug bag, they run from about $20 and up, depending on size & features. You really need good gloves, so you don't get cut up. Call it $15, or just go to the hardware store & buy some work gloves for about $5.

If you hunt where there are a lot of holes & ledges, a tickle stick can be handy. It's simply a stick, often an aluminum rod, about 3 ft long, that you use to stick into a hole & fool a bug into coming out with.

Any local dive shop should have everything you need in stock.

Oh, and you need a valid saltwater fishing license plus the extra crawfish stamp. That you can get at a tackle shop, Walmart or buy online.

Many grocery stores even have the "kits".
Don't forget the little "landing net", that in combination with the tickle stick can give good results.
Some folks like to use a snare, too.
The most important thing to remember about bugging is to take it slow & easy, fast movements scare the critters & they hunker down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom