ComfoBite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No.

They aren't. :wink:

The kind that are molded to fit your mouth (Comfobites) are not molded to fit mine. But, your hose becomes my hose if I have issues. I don't want to be gagging on your molded bitewings.

The kind that have the bridge cannot be opened far enough to deal with oxtox convulsions and other emergency response/rescue techniques.

That isn't to say that they might not work for you personally. But since you donate the long hose, the chances that they'll work for the entire team are slim.

I don't believe that is a "Comfobite". IIRC "Comfobite" is by Apeks. That isn't an Apeks mouthpiece. That looks like my first mouthpiece made by Dive Rite called a Rite Bite. I hated it.

teknitroxdiver:
(Note: This is NOT a trolling thread. As you can see from some of my other posts, I'm truly interesting in moving to a DIR or DIR-like configuration)

What is the DIR opinion on the Comfobite mouthpieces (the ones with a little 'bridge' that goes against the roof of your mouth)? Here's a picture: http://www.leisurepro.com/Image/Product/Large/UDRCBMP.JPG

thanks!

Dan Gibson:
I don't believe that is a "Comfobite". IIRC "Comfobite" is by Apeks. That isn't an Apeks mouthpiece. That looks like my first mouthpiece made by Dive Rite called a Rite Bite. I hated it.
That one there is made by AquaLung.

No.

Don't go there.

It isn't.

What's the reasoning behind it?

thanks again

Ah come on Doc....

Whoops, I see you edited your post...

Doc, are you thinking about SeaCure? I could not see what the prob w/ a comfo bite would be. And also these are the types of threads that make DIR look bad to others. People dont believe me when I tell them that DIR-F teaches people to be THINIKING divers, when all they see is "Is a Trident Mouthpiece DIR?" or "what type of whilstle is DIR".

Im sorry Tek, its not your fault

If you like the mouthpiece use it. Can YOU think of a reason its wouldnt be DIR?

edited to include basic rationale.

And you're correct, there are different names for mouthpieces by different manufacturers, SeaCure is a moldable product. The product in the photo is not.

Often these are discussed in 'categories'.

The rationale is that for a team-oriented approach, what is molded to fit your mouth isn't molded to fit mine. The mouthpiece generally extends further back into the mouth on molded models. When your team-mate has gas issues, what you don't want to do is to compound their discomfort by sticking a mouthpiece into their mouth that's molded to yours, and furthermore that is long enough that it might aggravate whatever issues they have going on.

In fact, while you may certainly disagree with the thinking, the rationale depends from having been 'thought all the way through' to include various rescue scenarios. Its the difference between thinking 'what works best for me personally' and 'what works best on a small team/squad level'. It depends on how you're 'thinking' about it.

There is much more detail contained in several threads on this same topic, which may be found in the archives.

Doc Intrepid:
The kind that have the bridge cannot be opened far enough to deal with oxtox convulsions and other emergency response/rescue techniques.

I am ignorant of what your talking about can you explain?

The Comfo Bite is actually a short mouth pice and I will agree the longer ones like one sold by Trident and on Sherwood regs, make me gag!

So, since this is a non-molded mouthpiece (I held it up to the regular one on my backup reg, and they appear to be the same length) it's okay?

I would definetly say so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom