Why all black?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This may be a misconception(perpetuated by some of you at least) but is there a reason that DIR calls for gear to be all black? How would color affect "reliability" or "redundancy". Other than looking like a scuba ninja what is the reason for black coloring?

Disclaimer: this is not a troll thread.

It's a misconception. In fact, the cover of "Fundamentals of Better Diving" has Jarrod Jablonski wearing a blue drysuit. My LDS has a roll of hot pink weight-belt webbing - I've often thought of wearing that in my harness just to piss off my dive buddies.

The benefits of black, though, are really simple - it's easy to keep clean, and it's easy to 'mix and match.' After all, you couldn't have a blue mask and a green strap - that would be a violation of Rule 6. :) (This is a joke.)

The only 'performance' benefit of black (and it's ENTIRELY subjective) is mask skirt choice. I prefer black to clear since it helps reduce glare and distracting shadows, but this isn't a DIR thing, it's a Jeff Chatterton thing.

lord1234:
This may be a misconception(perpetuated by some of you at least) but is there a reason that DIR calls for gear to be all black? How would color affect "reliability" or "redundancy". Other than looking like a scuba ninja what is the reason for black coloring?

Disclaimer: this is not a troll thread.

There are a few things where it matters. For instance, scooter bodies for cave are black to keep the relfection from lights from blinding you. However, for open water in carribean like conditions where this has far less effect, many people use white scooter bodies to make them easier to spot. Other than that and mask skirts (not frames) as mentioned, it generally does not matter. More experienced divers tend to prefer black because it is hard not to end up looking like a faded rainbow if you attempt to use other colors.

Black makes me look thinner. If I look thinner, then I get through the water with less resistance. If I get through the water with less resistance, my SAC goes down etc... :D

I agree with Boogie and RTodd. For the most part it doesn't matter unless you are overly critical of Rule 6.

OE2X:
Black makes me look thinner. If I look thinner, then I get through the water with less resistance. If I get through the water with less resistance, my SAC goes down etc... :D

An amazing thing.....the power of mind! :D

Kim - ever the gentleman. Most would have called it delusions, but hey it beats dieting.:D

I've read that black is the most resistant color to fading ...

and as to rule #6 call me a walking violation through life in general :wink:

Tim

[Hijack]
"My wetsuit is royal violet. My hoses are hot pink. My webbing is flourescent green. My fins are passionate red. If you're not seeing those colors, you may have some bad gas..."
:D
Anyone remember that old commercial for a TV manufacturer? What was it, the 70's?
[/Hijack]

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom