Aeris Atmos XT BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ownone that I bought used. The msot important thing would be fit and comfort, I would say, so try it on. As far as the BC itself the only thing I don't like about mine is that the integrated weight pockets are velcro only, no mechanical fasteners, but I know that that has been changed on the current version. Other than that, I like the BC.

How is the postioning in the water? The weight pockets seem to be placed fairly far back.

I have one and I love it. Mine has the mechanical lock weight pockets and the AirLink.

Between the upper trim pockets and the dumpable pockets I have been able to trim myself out so I am horizontal - I have "heavy feet" and could never get level with a standard BC and weight belt. My instructor said the change was amazing between my OW class and my AOW.

I have had no problem with it wanting to push me forward in the water at the surface, which some people indicated would happen with a back inflate style vest.

Great System at a great price

I've had my Atmos for about 4 years. Here's my "review"

Pros:
- good lift (almost 50 pounds)
- interesting design: hybrid of back & side inflation.
- lots of ways to customize the fit.
- several dump valves for ease of purging.
- comfort. VERY comfortable BC in any orientation. When fully inflated on the surface it holds you securly, but not too tightly so you can't breathe.

Cons:
- although it does have a bit of wrap around like a jacket BC, it is predominantly a back inflation unit. Therefore it can tend to push you forward while inflated on the surface unless you compensate for it by leaning back a bit.
- the velcro holding the hose is too low. It's a long hose & to dump it you really need to be able to get it up high. But you can't do that with where they have the velcro holder sitting. So I wind up dumping air either by pulling on the hose or using the dump valve on the right shoulder.
- pockets not big enough or enough of them. Since I dive with a steel HP tank if I was to use the intergrated weight pockets the whole assembled unit would be far to heavy to get up & on. So I went back to my wt belt. However, that still leaves the problem of there not being enough pockets & they are not large enough to put much in. I can barely get my backup UK SL4 light in one pocket!

In summary: I enjoy diving with my XT. The "pros" outweigh the "cons" for me.

JMHO,

I have one and really like it. It beats the snot out of cheap rental gear. Its very comfy both on land and in the water. It has plenty of clips and attachment points for gear. It can provide 35 lbs of lift and hold 34 lbs of wieght if needed. It also has trim pockets on the back. Its a good quality BC for a decent price. I paid around $315 for mine.

However there are some negative aspects about it. It only comes with one pocket that is relatively small, its probably 6" x 4" x 1.5". Kinda small. The other thing is the tank strap. Unless its fairly tight the tank will wiggle around.

jrs_diesel:
The other thing is the tank strap. Unless its fairly tight the tank will wiggle around.

I've never had that problem. No offense, but are you wetting the BC before you put it on the tank?

Just wondering,

I have one and in my limited experience I love it. It is very good at helping me stay level underwater. The tendency to lean forward is really only noticeable when I don't have any weight in the non-dumpable pockets. I dived with 30lbs in it when I was cold and the removal of the weight pockets was more difficult than I would have expected. Nearly impossible with 10lbs of soft weights in each pocket.

I agree with the lack of pockets. Also I've never had a problem with the tank strap either. I found it easier than the others I've tried and never loose. However the rubber part of the strap tends to move around a bit and if it isn't in place I could see the tank having a tendency to move.

I was choosing between this and a dive-rite transpac. we'll say they were teh same price and this just fit so much better that I went with it.

I have no regrets about it and would happily reccomend it to anyone.

I was considering one for a travel BCD I heard they where very light. Is this true. Haven't seen one yet.

Fit between the Dive Rite and the Atmos is quite different. The DR is totally customizable because it is essentially a BP/harness & wings system, while the Atmos is in sizes much like a jacket style BC even though the CUT of the fit is reminiscent of a back inflate.

As for using it as a travel BC, it certainly is heavier than a traditional jacket. But IMHO not overtly so. Mine has been throughout the Caribbean in the Red Sea and will be winging (pun intended) its way to Palau this Nov. I much prefer it over any jackets hanging in my scuba locker. :thumb:

The XT truly is a hybrid. It really doesn't fit in a single category.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom