Azors islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99:
It would probably help if you told us which island(s) of the Azores / Açores you are going to.

Hi there,

We have monday morning flight to Ponta Delgada. Tomorrow I have to call few hotels to get our accomodation.
What might be the best island to stay? I think we would like to see some flora and fauna too but diving is most important. Of course :)

Carlos & Fernando operates a small diving center on the island Sao Migel. They are situated in Villa Franca, about 30 min. drive out of Ponta Delgada.

-Best dive spots
-Best people
-Best equipement

I'll say they'll be your best choice. Have a nice vacation!

(Restaurants in Ponta Delgada are ok with fish, mostly Norwegian fish actually! Just check out the rest rooms before you order. If the loo is a hole in the wall, go somewhere else...)

I have only been to Sao Miguel, while visiting my wife's relatives in her hometown of Punta Garca.

I did do some windsurfing right in Ponta Delgada, but didn't do any scuba. The water was relatively cool -- about 20C, even in July.

Terra Nostra, in the small town of Furnas was my favorite hotel. Nice large hot spring fed warm water pool,although it stains everything with the rust/iron content. Lot's of wonderful hiking trails. Furnas is not too far from the Villa Franca dive op that Kompressor suggests.

Another awe inspiring sight is the Set Ciudads (spelling??) caldera -- a large volcanic crater with small villages in the bottom. It's on the West end of the island, but Sao Miguel is small enough to do a round-the-island tour in 1 day.

I generally stay away from Ponta Delgada ... the countryside is much nicer.

http://www.azores.com/azores/smiguel.asp may be of help.

p.s. If you see an older Portuguese American couple, along with 6 of their son&daughter-in-laws and 1 infant, that may be my sister-in-law who will be there July 19-26 No scuba divers in the group, though.

KOMPRESSOR:
Carlos & Fernando operates a small diving center on the island Sao Migel. They are situated in Villa Franca, about 30 min. drive out of Ponta Delgada.

-Best dive spots
-Best people
-Best equipement

I'll say they'll be your best choice. Have a nice vacation!

(Restaurants in Ponta Delgada are ok with fish, mostly Norwegian fish actually! Just check out the rest rooms before you order. If the loo is a hole in the wall, go somewhere else...)

Thanks guys for your replys. Do you have some contact information to Carlos & Fernando? I couldn't find any via Google.

I did find some contact information from this nice Norwegian dive site . Too bad it's in Norwagien language only :-D .

And Charlie, I will tell greeting to your relatives if I bump into them :)

Juha_Kristian:
Thanks guys for your replys. Do you have some contact information to Carlos & Fernando? I couldn't find any via Google.

I did find some contact information from this nice Norwegian dive site . Too bad it's in Norwagien language only :-D .

And Charlie, I will tell greeting to your relatives if I bump into them :)

Here's their homepage. Just to bad it's in Portugeese only...

http://www.espiritoazul.com/index.php

But send an email in English, perhaps they can help you anyway..

Oh, and my middle name is Harju :wink:

KOMPRESSOR:
Here's their homepage. Just to bad it's in Portugeese only...

http://www.espiritoazul.com/index.php

But send an email in English, perhaps they can help you anyway..

Oh, and my middle name is Harju :wink:

Hi there,

We really liked Azores so I can highly recommend to other divers and travellers too.

We went to Azores biggest island, that is called Sao Miguel. We kept our basecamp islands capitol, Ponta Delgada. By the way, it's nice to rent a car and travel around Sao Migule island. There are some beatuful scenes in the mountains.
If you have enough time , It's easy to fly between the island.

kart-azorene.gif

We went diving with diving center called Espirito Azul. Our host Carlos was funny guy and we had many nice dives. Remember to check out 50 meters long wreck near Ponta delcada. They say it's one of the best places to spot different fish species.

One day we went to swimming with dolphins and we saw group of bottlenose dolphins. It was nice to do freeding with them and to listen their loud conversation.

Bottlenose dolphins:
CRW_0026.jpg

Greeting to Carlos and Rita at Espirito Azul:
CRW_9808.jpg

Have a nice summer and dive safely :11ztongue

See? I told you! :)

So is Hitra Norway next, or.... ? We are going there on our family vacation in about two weeks. They've gotten a 29 foot aluminum boat with 220 HP which I will borrow for fun & diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom