Snorkeling technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pieohpah

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I've been looking for information on snorkeling technique for a wile, and have come up with very little. I meen; how much is there to know except for practicing?

I'm normally scuba diving and there are differences.

My main concerns are:
* equalizing the mask - maybe not needed at all. Some use goggles
* equalizing the ears. I have a problem doing this with the snorkel in my mouth, it's much easier with a regulator. How come? Maybe, because there is less counter preassure in the snorkel. How is it best done?
* Should one use the snorkel just on the surface, removing it going down?
* Is there a good/easy way to clear the snorkel coming up?

OK, that's enough for now...

pieohpah:
Hi, I've been looking for information on snorkeling technique for a wile, and have come up with very little. I meen; how much is there to know except for practicing?

I'm normally scuba diving and there are differences.

My main concerns are:
* equalizing the ears. I have a problem doing this with the snorkel in my mouth, it's much easier with a regulator. How come? Maybe, because there is less counter preassure in the snorkel. How is it best done?

OK, that's enough for now...
Usually a small exhalation through your nose will take care of this.
I don't have problems with this but heard this tip recently, if you're having trouble try putting your tongue against the roof of you mouth while equalizing.
You will most likely find it easier to keep it in your mouth once you get the hang of it.
As you're approaching the surface, tip your head back (looking up towards the surface) and start exhaling, as you surface finsh exhaling and your snorkle should be nice and clear.

Hope that helps a little bit. :wink:

bob1dp:
On exhaling I usually give my breath a strong POP to expel extra water in the tube.
Take a look at the BREATHOLDING thread now playing in this forum. More is there.

Pete

Mlody11:
Or get a dry snorkle :p.

each to his own...personally, I'm not a fan.

The trapped air inside caused bouyancy when you dive. The valves on top are also sizable and clunky...I wouldn't want to scuba with one of those dragging around....

a regular old snorkel works just fine with a little practice...

humanFish:
each to his own...personally, I'm not a fan.

The trapped air inside caused bouyancy when you dive. The valves on top are also sizable and clunky...I wouldn't want to scuba with one of those dragging around....

a regular old snorkel works just fine with a little practice...

I agree for the most part, but he was asking about snorkeling, not scuba diving.

Joe

equalizing the mask - maybe not needed at all. Some use goggles

Don't use goggles. It can result in injury to your eyes due to squeeze.

equalizing the ears. I have a problem doing this with the snorkel in my mouth, it's much easier with a regulator. How come? Maybe, because there is less counter preassure in the snorkel. How is it best done?

After your last breath before descending drop the snorkel from your mouth.

Should one use the snorkel just on the surface, removing it going down?

Yes.

Is there a good/easy way to clear the snorkel coming up?

Queen described the displacement method. It's very easy and results in a very clear snorkel.

Stay with a simple J, skip the bells and whistles.

Sideband:
I agree for the most part, but he was asking about snorkeling, not scuba diving.

Joe

The bouyancy aspect of a dry snorkel also applies ONLY to snorkeling/freediving. When scuba diving and breathing off a regulator the snorkel will flood.

The reason that I brought up SCUBA was in order to point out that dry snorkels are more of a liability when SCUBA diving than most other snorkels...just in case anyone cares...take it or leave it.

Back
Top Bottom