BP/W Delimma

Which setup (in no particular order)?

• Halcyon backplate, harness, and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Deep Sea Supply backplate, harness, and wing.

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • DSS backplate, harness, and Halcyon Pioneer wing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DSS backplate and Halcyon harness and Pioneer wing.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other setup.

Votes: 36 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainman_02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After much reading and thinking, I have decided on getting a BP/W setup. I've included voting options for my thoughts...I'd like your opinions and a short blurb why you chose what you did.

Thanks!

rainman_02:
After much reading and thinking, I have decided on getting a BP/W setup. I've included voting options for my thoughts...I'd like your opinions and a short blurb why you chose what you did.

Thanks!

Welcome to BP+Wing. I really hope you will enjoy it as much as many of us do.

My setup is

DiveRite aluminum BP
DiveRite TransPlate
DiveRite RecWing

I didn't purposely choose DiveRite over other brand or RecWing over other type of wing. It just happens that I get a good deal on eBay for the RecWing...............and started with some research from there and decided to buy it after reading through what people have to say on this board. As for the BP and the harness (TransPlate), I live in Thailand and BP+Wing is something pretty rare so our choices of such equipment is limited. Order it from the local DiveRite dealer in Phuket.

I have later added a thigh pocket where I carry my slate, safefy sausage, and backup torch.

BTW, consider using a cotch strap. It contributes to better stability.

Your comparisons are somewhat trivial and the results are not something you should assume "the best setup" for yourself.

DSS is the only backplate out there that I can see that offers something unique. I don't own a DSS backplate, but I have considered buying one. Pricing was an issue for me so I went with a Hammerhead backplate. Backplates are pretty much the same otherwise.

If you really are unable to come to a decision based on all the information that is already out there, I would suggest you buy a backplate and a webbing harness from who ever you prefer and then network with some other divers and clubs to see if you can borrow a few wings to try. Test a DiveRite wing, DSS, Halcyon and an Oxycheq and whatever else you can find. Then you can make a decision. Since you live in California it shouldn't be too hard.

Myself, I have 2 Oxycheq wings. I like them. I don't know if they are the best, but it does what I need. I recently borrowed my friends dual bladder Deep Outdoors wing, it worked too...I can't really pickout something that made my diving better or worst. My friend has an Oxycheq and a Halcyon wing. Short of prefering the shape, he can't really add any thing to the reasoning for the purchase.

Buy what you can afford and focus on being a better diver. The equipment is only a part of it.

I use a OMS BP/W which consists of a SS Bp with a quick realease harness and a 60lb non bungeed wing it works great and OMS has tons of options to choose from. They're fairly inexpensive and the great quality.

If you get a DR backplate ittl come with slots for the cambands, saving you cash on an STA. My tank is beautifully stabilized. I use what are called Elevator bolts to hold my wing on. They als provide my tank with a flat surface. no movement. Elevator bolts and wingnuts can be found at Lowes.

-Matt

hermosadive:
Your comparisons are somewhat trivial and the results are not something you should assume "the best setup" for yourself.

DSS is the only backplate out there that I can see that offers something unique. I don't own a DSS backplate, but I have considered buying one. Pricing was an issue for me so I went with a Hammerhead backplate. Backplates are pretty much the same otherwise.

I'd add BlackArt as adding a third unique flavor of backplate; I don't see anybody else doing their double-wrinkle thing, but so far as I know one would have to order direct; don't think they're distributed in the U.S.

I went through the same thing several months ago. After researching and researching and researching...and a lot of very helpful advice here on SB, I ended up getting a FredT bp and an Oxycheq wing. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner!

I dive an Abyss backplate with a hogarthian webbing harness and either a pioneer or Oxycheck #40 depending on the dive I'm doing. If I had to buy a new plate for some reason, I'd probably buy a hammerhead.

I have a Hammerhead bp. Solid product and strong price point. I already had a wing from my TransPac II, so all I needed was a bp. And pricing and weight were my primary concerns.

If I were to buy a complete rig from scratch, I would pick up the DSS rig with Hog set-up. Good engineering and thought into both the backplate (weight attachments, flatter profile, and webbing grommets) and the wing (center mounted exhaust hose). And Tobin is an active member of this board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom