Using Zeagle Ranger w/doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mongoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, folks...

I have been toying with the idea of using doubles on my Zeagle Ranger. Has anyone used the ranger in this config? What was your experience (good and/or bad)?

I looked on Zeagle's website & found the diagrams for attaching doubles. Two things I noticed (perhaps out of inexperience):
-- The little brackets that go on the diver's side of the BCD seem a little small, and it seems that the wingnuts would poke uncomfortably into the diver's back/spine area.
-- With the weight of doubles & manifold, it seems like supporting all that weight on two 1/2" grommet holes would create a lot of strain on the fabric.

Perhaps the best idea, as delighted as I am with my Ranger, might be to go with a backplate/harness/wings rig if I ever want to dive doubles.

Thanks in advance for advice/help/thoughts...

--'Goose

Just my $0.02

I haven't used doubles yet, but I can't see how it would be an optimal set up. Can it be done? Sure, but I think a BP/W is the only way to go when diving doubles.

I'm not being biased here, I dive a Ranger BC and love it.

When I start diving doubles I will definitely be getting a BP/W, and I will be getting it from Zeagle since I respect their gear and have already trusted them with my life.

mongoose:
Hi, folks...

I have been toying with the idea of using doubles on my Zeagle Ranger. Has anyone used the ranger in this config? What was your experience (good and/or bad)?

I looked on Zeagle's website & found the diagrams for attaching doubles. Two things I noticed (perhaps out of inexperience):
-- The little brackets that go on the diver's side of the BCD seem a little small, and it seems that the wingnuts would poke uncomfortably into the diver's back/spine area.
-- With the weight of doubles & manifold, it seems like supporting all that weight on two 1/2" grommet holes would create a lot of strain on the fabric.

Perhaps the best idea, as delighted as I am with my Ranger, might be to go with a backplate/harness/wings rig if I ever want to dive doubles.

Thanks in advance for advice/help/thoughts...

--'Goose

mongoose,

Don't expect to get much support from most on this board, about using your BC with doubles. (Although most have never tried it.)

Since you are only toying with the idea, and already own the Ranger, why not give it a try? Very low investment, and you can always add a back plate, or a wing and harness assembly down the line. Zeagle has all of these things too.

You may just find that you'll only dive doubles occaisionally and won't want the expense of another BC. You may not like doubles diving at all. And like me, you may just prefer your Ranger to a BP&W!

I have been diving doubles with my Ranger & LTD for several years. The twin cylinder mounting plates work very well. The bolts and wing nuts pull the BC into the V shaped recess between the double tanks, so they can't touch your back, unless you have the bolts incorrectly positioned. Many Ranger and Tech users add the lumbar pad for additional cushioning, although it's not necessary. I find the BC to be very stable, secure and comfortable with my double HP 100s. (I have worn 3 tanks with it, see attached.)

Zeagle biased of course!

Chad
Zeagle FL Rep.

I've dived doubles with the ranger, tech and the tech pack. The mounting works ok and I've even used a combination of cam bands and the bolts without the mounting plates which worked too. I switched to a bp/wing for reasons other than mounting.

I did find though that the Zeagle bc seems to have more wing between the diver and the tanks than some other wings. Air in the wing it tends to push the tanks further from the diver making it hard(er) for some divers to reach their valves. With practice, it's not a show stopper but something to be aware of.

Walter, you are slipping. I popped in just to see what you had to say and was totally surprised...you didn't tell us that the Ranger is a design flaw. :D Of course all of us that dive a Ranger or equivalent know that is BS.

crpntr133:
Walter, you are slipping. I popped in just to see what you had to say and was totally surprised...you didn't tell us that the Ranger is a design flaw. :D Of course all of us that dive a Ranger or equivalent know that is BS.

:1poke: :classic:

Actually after studying the situation a bit more, I think I'll go with either a PST E8-119 or -120. I can still get a big bump in bottom time without the additional expense of the manifold. And fill costs will probably have the steel tank paying for itself in 1-2 years.

Although I will be giving up the *full* redundancy of twins&manifold, I can still at least get 1st-stage redundancy by moving to an H-valve and running my octo off of another 1st stage.

For the diving that I do, IMHO that's plenty for now.

Besides, this is really all theoretical. I'm still fairly new, and before I make some huge expense, it's probably better to see if I can stretch my AL80 by diving often, and being in shape, and getting my breathing more controlled.

Thanks, folks!
--'Goose

I tried twin 120's on a Tech, using a backplate instead of the Zeagle mounting brackets. It worked, but was hard to balance. I suspect that with smaller (compact 80s for e.g.) it would work just fine.

You might consider carrying a pony. I clipped an AL30 to my Tech and Ranger for years when doing deep dives and it worked great.

And Walter, thousands of divers know that a Ranger (or a Tech) with a single tank rocks. You may be looking in the wrong place for that flaw.

Now, I try to be nice and you bring up that design flaw. The design flaw in the Ranger would not likely be an issue when diving doubles. While the Ranger does trap air, it is not difficult for an experienced diver to dump if he's aware of the problem. A beginner will likely overweight, not realizing the BC traps air. Very few beginners are looking into doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom