Sealing aluminium barrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tzeyap

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a JBL travel magnum. I picked up the gun one day and to mu utter dismay, i found that the was a small section which had been pitted and there is now a small hole which takes water into the barrel making it very heavy in the water.
I tried to seal the area and the hole with epoxy b ut it does not seem to do the job well. Can anyone suggest how I can seal this area and what sealant to use ?
my thanks in advance.

tzeyap:
I have a JBL travel magnum. I picked up the gun one day and to mu utter dismay, i found that the was a small section which had been pitted and there is now a small hole which takes water into the barrel making it very heavy in the water.
I tried to seal the area and the hole with epoxy but it does not seem to do the job well. Can anyone suggest how I can seal this area and what sealant to use ?
my thanks in advance.

The best bet is to replace the tube. Pitting can indicate a weak spot that can cause the barrel to buckle under heavy band loads. There is also the issue with the trapped water causing more pitting INSIDE the tube that simply hasn't broken through to where you can see it yet.

JBL sells presealed spares, or you can DIY.

As a hint the aluminum tube used on as a handle on pool skimmers is usually the same size. :eyebrow: This also allows you to "adjust" the tube length to take full advantage of your shaft length to squeeze a bit more power out of the assembly. JBL also sells track that can be added to your tube.

I replaced the tubes on a couple of my way overpowerd oil rig guns with a thinwall stainless steel tube. No more flex in the tube when loaded, but the negative buoyancy of the sealed tube made shot placement more difficult unless shooting DOWN.

If you insist on patching the tube you have hit a good plumbing shop and get a commercial epoxy and fiberglass pipe patch kit. Be extremely anal about the cleaning and bond area preparation phase of the manufacturer's instructions.

FT

Pitch the damaged tube before you or someone else gets injured when it fails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom