Time to upgrade to a BP and Wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Sawallich

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Looking for some advice here.. Just looking for opinions.. Right now I am diving a Zeagle Scout. Love it, but want to move up to a more advanced piece of equipment with better control. I really want to move into a backplate and wing, but not sure which way to go.. I love the Halcyon, but do not want to get sucked into the whole "DIR" thing.. Thought, comment, opinions??

Wings and backplates are certainly no longer ONLY for the DIR-people. You go ahead and buy what you want. Take my word for it, you won't be sorry!
-Compared to the old "wing/vest" my new Halcyon Eclipse 40 feels like a bar of soap through the shower regarding water resistance when swimming. Better trim is also a great bonus. It doesn't really matter which brand you get, but make sure it's a singletank wing, if that's what you want. Sales people like to tell you that "their" wing is great for both singles and doubles. That's 100% crap! I like the Eclipse, but would just as well have chosen one of DIR Zone's models (German). I don't like Dive Rite much because of it's shape.

Also, make sure you get some help with the fitting of the web the first few dives. It's not obvious how to set it right the first time.

If you're at Portland sometime tomorrow morning, you can check out my rig; S&W Hammerhead plate, Oxycheq SS wing and a DR Transplate harness. Still working out the kinks, but I like it.

DiveRite has some good gear...and affordable. You could get a jet harness and a FT plate.....the options are just almost never ending. Regardless....I was amazed at the difference when I got my bp and wing. It REALLY is different. And a good different.

Best of luck with your research.
rich

jonnythan:
Diving Halcyon gear won't make you DIR, I promise :wink:
LOL...It doesn't even come with a glass of Kool-Aid :wink:

gfisher4792:
If you're at Portland sometime tomorrow morning, you can check out my rig; S&W Hammerhead plate, Oxycheq SS wing and a DR Transplate harness. Still working out the kinks, but I like it.

Neil,

I will probally be going down to the Quarry first thing tomorrow, if I can get away for a couple of hours for one drop in.. I would like to take a look at your Rig..

I Do like the Halcyon setup and am leaning that way, but I am just looking to get outside of my "DIR Circle of buddies" and see what the rest of the world has to offer. I dont want to got caught up in the "raquet" DIR had become for dive shop owners. I would like to tech out to what I am comfortable with and have options to do that with the rig I end up with. The LDS I am currently involved with is a Halcyon Dealer, so that makes the decision a little bit easier, BUT, I can go about another 20 minuites down the road and find an OMS Shop.

What size is your scout? I might be interested in it when you get your BP/wing set up.

Regarding the BP/wing set, many of your decisions are easiest to make once you've clearly defined what you're going to use it for. The wing is the toughest call and most expensive. There are all sorts of opinions out there...probably the dive-rite venture wing is the least expensive single tank warm water made for a standard plate.

make your own harness and save a some $$. It's really easy to do if you pull some info off the web. There are some CAD diagrams at www.gue.com.

As for the plate I dive a halcyon SS and love it (not the the make matters THAT much... but I got a good deal) along with a 36 lbs pioneer wing, fantastic gear, I really have no complaints, although I've only tried one other wing so there may be one even better, someone will surely chime in on that point.

cbsaw:
I love the Halcyon, but do not want to get sucked into the whole "DIR" thing...

WHAT? If you love a piece of gear, why not but it? My wing didnt come w/ an invitation to hang out w/ DIR divers or anything lke that.

Also ck out the OMS set up, or anything else that might be available. Ask to rent to try someones. I would make my choice on gear... on the gear itself and less on the so-called "raquet" DIR had become for dive shop owners (whatever that means).

Back
Top Bottom