Deciding on a Back Inflate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TampaSean

New
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was recently certified and am looking to purchase a BC. I have been trying on quite a few lately and have narrowed it down to either the Genesis Tropic or the Oceanic Islander (both can be obtained at my LDS)-we are going to be traveling alot and I like the less cumbersome feel of the B/I bc's.

I did a search on the Genesis and came up with nothing. Looking for any feedback on these 2 or any others around this price range.

Thanks-Sean

The Oceanic is exactly the same as the Aeris Reef Rider... They are pretty nice... but at that price range, maybe a few more bucks, you could be in a Zeagle... We sell all of them - but the Zeagle gets much more attention in our shop. It's hard to beat the quality, warranty, etc for a easy to pack back inflate. Look at Brigade, Escape, or Stilletto.

TampaSean:
Hello Everyone,

I was recently certified and am looking to purchase a BC. I have been trying on quite a few lately and have narrowed it down to either the Genesis Tropic or the Oceanic Islander (both can be obtained at my LDS)-we are going to be traveling alot and I like the less cumbersome feel of the B/I bc's.

I did a search on the Genesis and came up with nothing. Looking for any feedback on these 2 or any others around this price range.

We just got two Zeagle Stilettos from ScubaToys and are extremely happy with them after a week in Cozumel. Back inflation is, in my opionion, the way to go. I'm not familiar with the ones you mention, but the Scubatoys guys should steer you right if you want to order over the internet.

Guys-

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to check out Zeagle....how is that ripcord system? Easy to use/re-thread vs. ease of use on the clip ones?

Tampa.....have you considered going to a bp and wing? I have had other bcd's but none perform like my DiveRite bp and wing. And, as for travel....couldnt be easier....but bouyancy control is the critical issue and it is just fantastic.

Give it a thought. If interested ,...pm me and I can recommend a source.
rich

TampaSean:
Guys-

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to check out Zeagle....how is that ripcord system? Easy to use/re-thread vs. ease of use on the clip ones?

Do a search on threading the ripcord and you should get some results... :wink:

I have a Zeagle Ranger, and though hard to pack (it's rather large with the 44lb wing), it's a great BC

As far as that ripcord is concerned, it's cool to dump your weight like you're skydiving, it's not that quick to rethread. I practiced with it a few times when I got it about 20 dives ago, but once you get used to it, it's not that hard, just takes time to do. Besides, if you have to dump your weights for any reason, spending an extra hour rethreading a BC, may be a sign you're a really lucky unbent diver.

As far as rethreading... It's easy to rethread in less than a couple minutes. The way I explain it, it's probably one of 2 things...

1 - You yanked it to do an emergency buoyant ascent, in which case you'll have plenty of time to rethread it in the chamber...

2 - Some dude on the boat yanked it while saying, "hey what's this red handle do?" In which case, I can rethread it faster than the boat can turn around to pick him up out of the water. :wink:

TS,

Welcome to Scubaboard.

You are also in the unique position of living about 15 miles from Zephyr Hills, where Zeagle BCs and Regulators are born!

EZ Scuba in Tampa has a large stock of Zeagle products.

Chad Carney
FL Zeagle Rep

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom