u shape vs donut wing differences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I currently dive a dive rite trek wing which is a U shape wing. Seems fine but am curious what may be the differences experienced with a donut shaped wing? I have been trying to work out a stability issue that I have been having. Diving dry and heavy with SS plate, zero problems. Diving wet with al plate I am finding that I am a bit typsy side to side. One item I intend on adjusting is to bring some of the heavier weight on my belt more towards my stomach as opposed to my back.

When I dive doubles (w/ a U shaped wing) or when I dove singles w a Zeagle Ranger I had more air on one side than on the other, its easy to correct but still, Id like not to have to do that. W/ my single oval shaped wing...It dosent happen.

Though I never personally use a donut shape wing, I understood that the donut shape wing provides a better air distribution thus gives better stability in water. With my DR RecWing, I sometimes have to sqeeze the air from one side so it will move to the other side for stablizing my positions underwater. Not annoying but I understood the donut shape provides better air flows in the wing.

Whould love to hear what donut wing users have to say.

I never dived a horse shoe, but stability in my donut wing is great. No problems with air distribution whatsoever. The air goes where it needs to go - no dead ends to encounter.

Have never noticed any problem with any of my several U-shaped wings. Dive them with doubles, singles, drysuit, wetsuit, skin, weight belt, weighted STA, no weights.

I don't get the issue.

theskull

Back
Top Bottom