light which side??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As an advanced recreational diver I run twin cyl's and sometimes the dive requires to carry a pony cyl. I carry the pony on my left side. Is this correct or is it better on the right? I am getting an HID cannister light soon and wonder which side that should also be mounted. What is the DIR theories behind these topics? any thoughts welcomed.
thanks,
Les

Snowbear:
Oh....... and remember, the gear configuration is but a very small part of "DIR."

Translation: if you want to learn about DIR, take Fundamentals. Learning this system cannot be done over the internet, it must be done in person.

mer:
Translation: if you want to learn about DIR, take Fundamentals. Learning this system cannot be done over the internet, it must be done in person.
Actually, that's not what I said. Most of the gear configuration part of DIR CAN be learned from the internet and from the books. I was just pointing out that the gear configuration is not ALL of what DIR is :wink:

IMO a lot of the gear configuration and details are not covered especially in-depth in the class due simply to time constraints. You don't have days to go over gear, you have 2-3 hours.

Many of the finer points of the gear config are best learned online from reputable knowledgeable sources or via printed material.

Also IMO it's a disservice to divers and DIR in general to simply say "go take the class" instead of taking the time to explain choices and comprimises made in the gear.

In any case, ponies are not DIR. Light canisters are worn on the right side of the waist belt next to the BP because stage and deco bottles are carried on the left.

The quasi-DIR pony method is to sling the bottle the way you would a deco bottle, but carrying the pony in the first place indicates a rejection of the diving team concept, which is one of the critical pillars to all of DIR.

I would agree that obtaining the "whole" of the DIR concept is impossible online, FWIW.

It is possible that Les is merely using the word pony to mean either a deco or stage bottle... either of which would be carried on the left by a DIR diver.

Les, the DIR position for the canister is on the right waistbelt with the lighthead held primarily by the left hand. There are several reasons for this. Having the canister on the right means that it will not interfer with the left waist D-ring where the SPG is clipped off as well as the bottom of your deco/stage bottles are clipped off.

Having the lighthead with goodman handle on your left hand leaves your right hand free to run a scooter and in the advent of an airshare keeps you from shining your HID light into the eyes of the OOA as you donate the reg you are breathing with your right hand. In practice the lighthead can be transferred back and forth between hands to accomplish various tasks and I've run my scooter many times holding the lighthead with my thumb while using the index finger on the trigger. Whether or not to run the lighthead cord under the long hose as it cross the chest is another issue. I was taught to do it that way and others have been taught differently.

BTW... I know several guys who are carrying a single al80 with backgas slung on the left along with their deco gas while diving doubles. They breath the al80 on the first dive and use what ever backgas they need to complete the dive. When the al80 is done they clip its top boltsnap to their left waist D-ring so it is out of the way. This way they have enough backgas for a second dive.

mer:
WHAT!!!! you have to go diving to learn about it? that is a bunch of horse poo.

As I am not fully tuned to the DIR concept, I apoligize for my confusion I may have caused. I use my "pony" for deco purposes as Uncle Pug stated. Thanks for the tip on correct hand for the light handle. I understand the reasoning behind the theory. Makes good sense. Makes me think about what else I can do. I will inquire at LDS about DIR. And I agree that some info can be learned from the net but some of it must be taken lighter as opinions get in the way of fact. But why are some DIR divers taught different ways? hmm.
anyways thanks for all the input.
Les

Les:
As I am not fully tuned to the DIR concept, I apoligize for my confusion I may have caused. I use my "pony" for deco purposes as Uncle Pug stated. Thanks for the tip on correct hand for the light handle. I understand the reasoning behind the theory. Makes good sense. Makes me think about what else I can do. I will inquire at LDS about DIR. And I agree that some info can be learned from the net but some of it must be taken lighter as opinions get in the way of fact. But why are some DIR divers taught different ways? hmm.
anyways thanks for all the input.
Les
Please keep us updated as to the information you've got about DIR from your LDS. :D

Well your LDS is probably going to know a lot less about DIR than you, and be much more hostile to the idea..

Give the guys at www.fifthd.com a call.. remember, just cause a shop sells Halcyon gear doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Find a GUE instructor to talk to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom