PADI v Diverlink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On July 13, 2005, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled against PADI in it's appeal of the United States District Court for Central District of California's ruling in PADI's suit against Diverlink. It looks like this is finally over, PADI should now be paying Diverlink's legal expenses as ordered by the United States District Court for the Central District of California which were approximately $197,000 prior to the appeal. I have no idea how much they are at this point.

The suit was filed as a result of PADI's displeasure with an article published on the Diverlink website comparing the Open Water training standards of three certification agencies.

Walter:
On July 13, 2005, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit ruled against PADI in it's appeal of the United States District Court for Central District of California's ruling in PADI's suit against Diverlink. It looks like this is finally over, PADI should now be paying Diverlink's legal expenses as ordered by the United States District Court for the Central District of California which were approximately $197,000 prior to the appeal. I have no idea how much they are at this point.

The suit was filed as a result of PADI's displeasure with an article published on the Diverlink website comparing the Open Water training standards of three certification agencies.

Do you know if there is a link to the actual article anywhere? I would be keen to read it.

Cool.

Walter:

Kind of odd that you would post this Walt and the name of the guy who is quote in the descision as the responsible party's name is Walt.

your last name is Wilt is it?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was

RIDIVER501:
Kind of odd that you would post this Walt and the name of the guy who is quote in the descision as the responsible party's name is Walt.

What difference does that make? He puts the truth out there for the world to see, Padi does the typical corporate thing by suing to shut him up, he fights back and wins...sounds like David and Goliath all over again to me. Good job, Walter. If the truth hurts so bad that Padi can't stand it, maybe they need to change their ways. It seems to me that this would be a more positive approach instead of suing people who point out discrepancies...

The original suit was over whether PADI could prevent Diverlink from posting a factual based comparison of agency requirements (regardless of who authored it). Basically, PADI sued and lost. Then they appealled to the Ninth Circuit and lost that (see above). This is just the legal fallout from the previous decision and means PADI will have to pay the legal costs their failed lawsuit forced Diverlink to incur to defend themselves. It sounds like its time for PADI to pay up.

Don't be so eager to rip on Walter. PADI's suit had nothing to do with whether the information was factual (which you can verify for yourself), just whether PADI could prevent Diverlink from posting that information comparitively to other agencies.

StSomewhere:
Don't be so eager to rip on Walter. PADI's suit had nothing to do with whether the information was factual (which you can verify for yourself), just whether PADI could prevent Diverlink from posting that information comparitively to other agencies.

You're right, but you can bet that if it WASN'T factual, they would have sued for that as well.

RIDIVER501:

Walter is the author of the article and its good to see that this legal issue is done for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom